Sadao Miyamoto (Princess Knight, Gatchaman animation director) wins award

Original series, II, Fighter, movies and more!
Cure DragonEagle 255

Sadao Miyamoto (Princess Knight, Gatchaman animation director) wins award

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... rd/.180359

After the death of Masami Suda I was worried about him! I'm glad he's still around!
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Re: Sadao Miyamoto (Princess Knight, Gatchaman animation director) wins award

Cure DragonEagle 255 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:03 pm https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... rd/.180359

After the death of Masami Suda I was worried about him! I'm glad he's still around!
That's great news! I've always loved his style - he's one of those lucky people that makes illustration look like a simple task. Plus he's a really nice person and I'm glad to see him get the recognition.
Cure DragonEagle 255

Wow. You talk as if you've met him. Tell me you did!
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Cure DragonEagle,
Cure DragonEagle 255 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:07 pm Wow. You talk as if you've met him. Tell me you did!
Yes, I met Mr. Miyamoto a few times. He used to work at Disney Consumer Products near Los Angeles, CA as a designer and merchandising illustrator. A fan from the area let us know about an article about him in a small, local Japanese newspaper that mentioned that fact. I contacted him afterward and along with my fellow cohort, Tatsunokofan, arranged for him to attend the San Diego Comic-Con International in 1998. He arrived with a translator and spent part of the day meeting fans at our GatchaCon event within the show, taking questions and signing autographs. Those of us who headed up the Tatsunoko Fan Club USA at the time, also had dinner with him that night.

miyasan98ws.jpg
Mr. Miyamoto and a small section of the fans who met him at GatchaCon '98.

Coming to meet a bunch of strangers was certainly nothing he needed to do. So it was incredibly nice of him on that level alone. But to spend so much time with us and answer our questions and comments with such great enthusiasm, showed he was kind and patient as well. He laughed a lot and I don't think I saw him without a smile all day.

Some of us were able to meet him at the film premiere for Yoshitaka Amano's 1001 Nights. He cheerfully introduced us to other past members of Tatsunoko Production who made the trip to see the film. He was funny, taking us around to everyone in a "You've got to meet these kids!" sort of manner. I also met him for a lunch during one of my work trips to LA. Each time he was the same - happy and talkative.

He loved working at Disney, which was a dream he had since he saw his first Disney film in Japan. Once he retired, he spent a few years going back and forth to Japan before finally moving back for good. Although he doesn't speak a lot of English, and I don't speak Japanese very well, we got along great and figured things out (the times when there was a translator present helped a lot!).