Writer Mark Millar praises Battle

Including international versions
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Writer Mark Millar praises Battle

Hi all,

Comic book writer and film producer Mark Millar (Wanted, Kick-Ass, Kingsmen: The Secret Service) was interviewed recently by Grant Hermanns on the Screen Rant website about his new animated Super Crooks series on Netflix. Within the interview, he mentioned his love for Battle of the Planets, which is excerpted here:

"Mark Millar: Anime-wise, I'm always amazed that this show wasn't bigger, but what I always have in my head as the pinnacle of anime is Battle of the Planets or Gatchaman as it was known in some places.

But that's what made me so excited about doing this as an anime because that was my favorite cartoon growing up, I didn't even know it was Japanese, I saw it when I was really young and I just thought it was an American show and I was like, "Why aren't all American shows this cool? You know, why are the other American shows just a little bit cheap looking compared to this?" Then I realized that it was Japanese and that's what began my love affair with anime and then everybody got into it by the time Akira came along and now my children watch more and read more Japanese stuff than they do American stuff."

A wonderful mention indeed! Mr. Millar's full interview can be read here.
Cure DragonEagle 255

Re: Writer Mark Millar praises Battle

Mark Millar is redeemed. :mrgreen:
Stardust

The Other Jason wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:19 pm Hi all,

Comic book writer and film producer Mark Millar (Wanted, Kick-Ass, Kingsmen: The Secret Service) was interviewed recently by Grant Hermanns on the Screen Rant website about his new animated Super Crooks series on Netflix. Within the interview, he mentioned his love for Battle of the Planets, which is excerpted here:

"Mark Millar: Anime-wise, I'm always amazed that this show wasn't bigger, but what I always have in my head as the pinnacle of anime is Battle of the Planets or Gatchaman as it was known in some places.

But that's what made me so excited about doing this as an anime because that was my favorite cartoon growing up, I didn't even know it was Japanese, I saw it when I was really young and I just thought it was an American show and I was like, "Why aren't all American shows this cool? You know, why are the other American shows just a little bit cheap looking compared to this?" Then I realized that it was Japanese and that's what began my love affair with anime and then everybody got into it by the time Akira came along and now my children watch more and read more Japanese stuff than they do American stuff."

A wonderful mention indeed! Mr. Millar's full interview can be read here.
I went and watched the trailer, you can definitely see the influence in the style of anime.
MoonlightDezu

The Other Jason wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:19 pm

Then I realized that it was Japanese and that's what began my love affair with anime and then everybody got into it by the time Akira came along and now my children watch more and read more Japanese stuff than they do American stuff."

read here.
Well, it seems now I Understand why did he choose Bones Studio over American-based Animation studio. he's been on the eye and a big fan of Anime, and what makes it better, his favorite anime was Gatchaman as a whole.

I'm glad, very glad and can't wait to watch the Comic adaptation on Netflix.
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi all,

Writer Mark Millar has mentioned his love of Battle again, in another interview promoting his Super Crooks series on Netflix. This time it is on the Animation World Network site, in an article by Victoria Davis.
"He (Millar) adds, 'Battle of the Planets was my first experience with Japanese anime. And even as an eight-year-old, or whenever it first appeared in Scotland, all of my friends were like, ‘We've never seen anything like this before.’ And it was almost like this was coming from another world because it was so beautiful. It looked like paintings. And to sort of have my own version of that is really cool. I love it.'"
You can read the full interview with Mr. Millar and collaborator Motonobu Hori, here.
Cure DragonEagle 255

That reminds me, Other Jason, where did Battle Of The Planets air on Scotland? The BBC?
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Cure DragonEagle,
Cure DragonEagle 255 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:28 pm That reminds me, Other Jason, where did Battle Of The Planets air on Scotland? The BBC?
I think they were aired there as part of regular, national BBC programming through BBC Scotland.