What was Sandy Frank told by the stations that turned down Battle Of The Planets?

Including international versions
Cure DragonEagle 255

What was Sandy Frank told by the stations that turned down Battle Of The Planets?

It just occurred to me that I never asked. Sure its on the website but I still want to ask if there is more to the story. I love it because unlike many stories about people shunning innovation the stations quite liked what they saw. They just werent willing to put such a risky program on the air when Woody Woodpecker and Tom And Jerry did gangbusters. And one that was primarily a drama. Sure it was sugarcoated drama and so on but it still was thought kid viewers wouldnt be into it.
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Re: What was Sandy Frank told by the stations that turned down Battle Of The Planets?

Hi Cure DragonEagle,
Cure DragonEagle 255 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:25 am It just occurred to me that I never asked. Sure its on the website but I still want to ask if there is more to the story. I love it because unlike many stories about people shunning innovation the stations quite liked what they saw. They just werent willing to put such a risky program on the air when Woody Woodpecker and Tom And Jerry did gangbusters. And one that was primarily a drama. Sure it was sugarcoated drama and so on but it still was thought kid viewers wouldnt be into it.
I've thought about this since reading your question yesterday, but I can't recall ever getting into details about that subject with Mr. Frank. He did get turned down, especially early on. But he only told me, as you said, that programmers were more content with what they had and were unwilling to take the risk on Battle. He was a hard salesman to turn down, so I wish I knew more about it to add to the story.
Cure DragonEagle 255

Re: What was Sandy Frank told by the stations that turned down Battle Of The Planets?

Oh well. The story is still quite interesting and it goes to show that its not the fear or rejection of new ideas that stiffles innovation but rather being too set and comfy on old ways.