What did your parents think of Battle?

Including international versions
Cure DragonEagle 255

What did your parents think of Battle?

Ever since the inception of Battle Of The Planets, Parents have been a concern for Sandy Frank. During the sales period he brought mothers as well as children. They all loved the show and Sandy Frank knew Battle was on the right track to be a success.

I want to ask people if their parents knew of their watching of Battle Of The Planets and what they thought of it. This question is for every member of the forum, as old or young as you are. It doesnt matter.
Stardust

Re: What did your parents think of Battle?

Anime was just on the rise in America so my parents thought I was just watching cartoons. They didn't mind much as I was studying art and was considering going into cartooning. So they wrote it off as another art interest of mine.
I know it was the 80s BoTP came here, I don't remember the exact year. I would have to check my sketchbooks as I would sit down with them in front of the TV and draw the characters.
My dad was a big supporter of my art and he would bring home comic books for me from time to time. I think if he wasn't at work he would have sat down and watched BoTP with me.
My sister was another story. She was ten years older than me. I remember her making fun of me for watching "cartoons at my age". She never did get it.

Good topic to start a discussion on. I hope others join in as I am curious of their experiences.
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Cure DragonEagle 255 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:57 pm I want to ask people if their parents knew of their watching of Battle Of The Planets and what they thought of it.
I don't recall much reaction from my parents. But that's mostly because neither of them were often around at the time Battle aired. It was on in the afternoons where I grew up, usually in the 3:30 - 5:00pm block on three separate stations. I was normally home alone until after my parents' work hours, or one of my grandmothers was with me. It just depended.

While I don't have any specific memories of either of my folks watching with me. I do remember my mom taking me to our local grocery store a couple times on a quest for the newest Battle comic book. I remember showing her the cover of issue one and telling her I was looking for more. Sadly, my grocery store either never saw fit to carry any past issue three... or they only got a couple copies in that went to fans with more regular access! But there was family support for my eager fan side, even at that young age.

One of my grandmothers watched with me at a point when Battle aired back-to-back with Star Blazers. After a few days, she commented that she liked Battle of the Planets, but not the other one, because it was "fun." I don't remember any specific reason why she thought that, but it's nice to remember she preferred Battle!
Bobkat

I remember my mom being meh about Battle.

She kept saying over and over, "you can do anything with pen and paper". I also know she didn't like Zark. My older brother didn't like the show either. They could be pretty negative about the whole thing. There's a whole family dynamic going on that I don't want to go into. If my family was ever interested in something I liked, it was rare. Probably why I like the memory of my dad watching "Race Against Disaster" with me.

Of course, it never stopped me. :)
Cure DragonEagle 255

Bobkat wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:21 pm I remember my mom being meh about Battle.

She kept saying over and over, "you can do anything with pen and paper". I also know she didn't like Zark. My older brother didn't like the show either. They could be pretty negative about the whole thing. There's a whole family dynamic going on that I don't want to go into. If my family was ever interested in something I liked, it was rare. Probably why I like the memory of my dad watching "Race Against Disaster" with me.

Of course, it never stopped me. :)
That was eminently sensible of her.Maybe she would have liked G-Force or Uncut Gatchaman. I still want to know what he thought of that episode.
Stardust

The Other Jason wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:13 pm
Cure DragonEagle 255 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:57 pm I want to ask people if their parents knew of their watching of Battle Of The Planets and what they thought of it.
One of my grandmothers watched with me at a point when Battle aired back-to-back with Star Blazers. After a few days, she commented that she liked Battle of the Planets, but not the other one, because it was "fun." I don't remember any specific reason why she thought that, but it's nice to remember she preferred Battle!
I remember Star Blazers coming on right after that too. I didn't like it as much but still the animation style was cool
Bobkat

Cure DragonEagle 255 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:28 pm
That was eminently sensible of her.Maybe she would have liked G-Force or Uncut Gatchaman. I still want to know what he thought of that episode.
If you knew my mom, you'd understand she wasn't that sensible.
Cure DragonEagle 255

I want to ask what you mean by that but I know in my heart it is best not to know. :( I still want to know what your dad thought of Race Against Disaster! :mrgreen: