YOUR Battle Of The Planets affiliate!

Including international versions
Bobkat

Re: YOUR Battle Of The Planets affiliate!

Lucy was a surprise but I will tell you the one twist I didn't see coming, but it ruined me forever!

When it was revealed Colonel Cronus was Mark's father. ....WHAT!!!???....WHAT!!!?? :o Are you kidding me!?!!?!? :shock:

I was floored.

How it ruined me: I see that plot twist now and I can't help but think, "Been there, done that, have the t-shirt". LOL!!! :lol:

I remember watching "The Man In the Iron Mask" in the theater and that twist was used. Everyone gasped when Dartanin made the statement to Louis. "I yelled out, "hello!!?!?!"" because no one paid attention to the prior hints. The friend that was with me asked if I had read the book. I hadn't. :)

That's only one example of the many eyerolls in my life. :)
Cure DragonEagle 255

OMG that must have been such a twist! Sure Star Wars, the film that Battle Of The Planets owes its existance to, had the Darth Vader twist but I bet you didnt expect a "Good Guy" take on that lol.

I now cant wait for The Other Jason's response. I bet it will be something else! I wonder how he reacted to both twists!
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Cure DragonEagle,
Cure DragonEagle 255 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:04 pm Now that I've learned that our very own Other Jason And Bobkat are from rural areas, I want to ask them what they thought of the Lucy is a Robot twist. I think sci fi was really attractive to rural area people because it was so unlike anything they've ever seen and Battle was no exception. Like nowadays we may say Meh to that twist but it must have been so riveting to young minds that didnt see sci fi before!

BTW I mean the twist itself, not how much of an asshole Zark was lol.
This will veer off topic a bit, but since you asked. Although we were rural, I had access to television, movie theaters and comic books. Some of my earliest entertainment memories were watching Adventures of Superman and Batman (the live-action version) on TV. Those were a couple years before Battle.

I don't remember Lucy's reveal having that much of an impact. It really wasn't one of the most memorable stories for me. The racing and robot animals from the episode stuck with me more. Perhaps the all animals changing into robots took some of the shock away from Lucy doing it too. It was sort of the same with "The Sky is Falling!" episodes. I think my friends and I took that reveal as a matter of course. Again, I don't remember it surprising me that much. Perhaps I was just too young to appreciate the events. Or maybe I was an already-jaded TV viewer, ha ha!

In the years when I couldn't see Battle, the ones I remembered most were "The Fierce Flowers" episodes, "Orion, Wonder Dog of Space," "The Space Rock Concert" and "The Awesome Ray Force " (any where their secret identities were in peril really stayed with me). There were many others of course, but those were the episodes that left the strongest impressions.

Regarding Zark. I never found him as bothersome as many of my friends did (I still don't). The thing that bugged me the most about his interactions however, was he seemed to lose communication contact with the team - a LOT. But.. if we'd had a mute button as kids, it probably would have been used. Get to the good stuff! :-)
Cure DragonEagle 255

The Other Jason wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:18 pm Hi Cure DragonEagle,
Cure DragonEagle 255 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:04 pm Now that I've learned that our very own Other Jason And Bobkat are from rural areas, I want to ask them what they thought of the Lucy is a Robot twist. I think sci fi was really attractive to rural area people because it was so unlike anything they've ever seen and Battle was no exception. Like nowadays we may say Meh to that twist but it must have been so riveting to young minds that didnt see sci fi before!

BTW I mean the twist itself, not how much of an asshole Zark was lol.
This will veer off topic a bit, but since you asked. Although we were rural, I had access to television, movie theaters and comic books. Some of my earliest entertainment memories were watching Adventures of Superman and Batman (the live-action version) on TV. Those were a couple years before Battle.

I don't remember Lucy's reveal having that much of an impact. It really wasn't one of the most memorable stories for me. The racing and robot animals from the episode stuck with me more. Perhaps the all animals changing into robots took some of the shock away from Lucy doing it too. It was sort of the same with "The Sky is Falling!" episodes. I think my friends and I took that reveal as a matter of course. Again, I don't remember it surprising me that much. Perhaps I was just too young to appreciate the events. Or maybe I was an already-jaded TV viewer, ha ha!

In the years when I couldn't see Battle, the ones I remembered most were "The Fierce Flowers" episodes, "Orion, Wonder Dog of Space," "The Space Rock Concert" and "The Awesome Ray Force " (any where their secret identities were in peril really stayed with me). There were many others of course, but those were the episodes that left the strongest impressions.

Regarding Zark. I never found him as bothersome as many of my friends did (I still don't). The thing that bugged me the most about his interactions however, was he seemed to lose communication contact with the team - a LOT. But.. if we'd had a mute button as kids, it probably would have been used. Get to the good stuff! :-)
You certainly are one of MY kind! I love those episodes, although I watched the G-Force version first. How did the writers write around the fact that Princess "died"? I still remember the shock when G-Force ended with Aggie's death! I dont think the Battle writers could have pulled that off... Or did they?
Bobkat

Cure DragonEagle 255 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:40 pm
You certainly are one of MY kind! I love those episodes, although I watched the G-Force version first. How did the writers write around the fact that Princess "died"? I still remember the shock when G-Force ended with Aggie's death! I dont think the Battle writers could have pulled that off... Or did they?
Are you talking about when the airplane fuel was dumped on the field? Because they DID show that in Battle! Just that Jason never punched Mark like Joe/Dirk did to Ken/Ace. :) (Another thankful edit!)
Cure DragonEagle 255

I checked it out for myself and they just say "she dissapeared" and "her dissapearance" instead of "She died" and "her death". I still want to hear The Other Jason's two cents about it. It is not ever other day kids shows have the hero burn a friend to death lol.

Also you probably meant RED IMPULSE/Cronus instead of Joe/Jason. He was the one who beat the crap out of Ken/Mark lol.
Bobkat

Cure DragonEagle 255 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:05 am

Also you probably meant RED IMPULSE/Cronus instead of Joe/Jason. He was the one who beat the crap out of Ken/Mark lol.
No, that happened too. (Red Impulse beating Ken). That scene was completely cut out of Battle but G-Force used it.

I'm talking about just before Ken/Ace hops into the airplane to dump the fuel. There is a whole discussion between the boys and Nambu/Brighthead before the fuel dump. Battle whacked out the punch but it remained intact in G-Force. :)
Cure DragonEagle 255

Oh wow. Poor Ken/Mark/Ace he got beat up a lot.

EDIT: Forgot his G-Force name, I debated if I should delete Mark from there since he DID NOT get beat up but I decided to keep it lol.
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Katblu!
Katblu42 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:10 am I was so little when I watched the show that I don't have a clear memory of which channel it was on!

I did find some old TV guides online a while back and eventually found listings for Battle. I wrote details down . . . but now I can't find where I wrote it (because I tidied up!).

I think it aired here - Sydney, Australia - on Network 10. (TEN)
If you had asked me to rely on memory alone I might have assumed it was on Channel 7. (ATN)

This would have been around 1981, and we only had 4 or 5 TV channels.
Thanks! I had a friend in Australia tell me Battle was on the 0-10 Network when it first aired there. But then they changed their name to Network Ten while the show was still airing. So that may have led to some memory problems. I'd have to look at some of Sandy's paperwork because I think there were some differences in later airings.
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Cure DragonEagle 255 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:40 pm
The Other Jason wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:18 pm Hi Cure DragonEagle,
Cure DragonEagle 255 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:04 pm Now that I've learned that our very own Other Jason And Bobkat are from rural areas, I want to ask them what they thought of the Lucy is a Robot twist.
I checked some of my documents and there wasn't really anything extra in describing Princess' fate as anything other than disappearing or being missing. They did say to "EDIT OUT" the physical confrontation between Mark and Jason. There was a shot of Keyop cut out after they fired the missile into the field of flowers, where he said "Inferno... had to do it... never forgive myself."