Battle of the Planets Feature Film

Including international versions
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Re: Battle of the Planets Feature Film

Hi Bobkat,
Bobkat wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:39 pm I haven't read any of the articles, but this is beginning to sound like one big mess. This does not bode well in my book.
We'll see what they do with the film and its world. For now, I'm hopeful. :-) When they start putting out news, images or other official information about the direction everything is taking, then I'll see how I feel.

The confusion in the articles above comes from the reporting about the project in Japan. I think the author chose to call it a "Gatchaman" film rather than a "Battle" film just out of familiarity with the series. If he had quoted an official Japanese source that referred to it like that, then there might be something to wonder about.
Stardust

I'm with Bobkat, I have a few concerns myself. My first and foremost is always, don't mess with Zoltar, he's perfect as he is, lol. But they were talking about Katse and saying maybe they will work with his gender fluidity. I am okay with that if they want to go non binary with him. I just don't want them to mess with the look too much as I've seen in past versions.
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi all,

Director Joe Russo was at the recent MIA Film and Television market in Rome, Italy on Thursday, October 14. He was interviewed about his company's upcoming projects by Melanie Goodfellow of Screendaily, and had the following to say about the current status of Battle of the Planets:

Goodfellow: "Another project you announced recently is the feature adaptation of the Japanese anime series Battle Of The Planets for which Daniel Casey is writing the script, in his first major screenplay since Fast And Furious 9. Do you have any updates on that?"

Russo: "We’re just off on script on that. We took two years to acquire the rights to it and to settle that all up and the way we work at our company, it usually takes us a year to go to script because we’ll do complementary artwork and investigate the world of the story, write a bible, write bios, so we have a deeper understanding of the story when we actually go to script… usually when we go to script we do it quickly."

Please go to Screendaily to read Mr. Russo's entire interview.
MoonlightDezu

The Other Jason wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:10 pm
Russo: "We’re just off on script on that. We took two years to acquire the rights to it and to settle that all up and the way we work at our company, it usually takes us a year to go to script because we’ll do complementary artwork and investigate the world of the story, write a bible, write bios, so we have a deeper understanding of the story when we actually go to script… usually when we go to script we do it quickly."

I'm expecting there will be a Major updates Next or within two years from now since they've been finished with the script.
MoonlightDezu

Wikipedia has some Updates

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGBO

Not sure if this credible update but It turns out Godzilla vs Kong director will direct the feature, with Skydance co-produced and Amazon distributing the film.

If I can be Honest, This is a Little bit bummer because I want to see this film on the Big Screen.
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Moonlight,
MoonlightDezu wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:31 pm Wikipedia has some Updates

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGBO

Not sure if this credible update but It turns out Godzilla vs Kong director will direct the feature, with Skydance co-produced and Amazon distributing the film.

If I can be Honest, This is a Little bit bummer because I want to see this film on the Big Screen.
You're probably right to wonder. If a deal had been done for all of that on October 25/26, it's likely one or more of the parties would have had press releases at the ready. Also, the director named at Wikipedia, Adam Wingard, is seemingly busy with the ThunderCats movie. That's not to say any of it's impossible though. We'll just have to keep watching for information to support any of it.
MoonlightDezu

The Wikipedia of Agbo Film also gives Updates to the Other project as well, including their distributions and Co-Production studio. This makes me believe this Update was done by Agbo's Insider.

but who knows, we should look forward to the reliable Information
MoonlightDezu

I just checked Agbo's Wikipedia and it turns out they deleted the Information. Not only Battle but also the other project. Removing any Amazon distribution information (except for Grimjack) and the director name.
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Moonlight,
MoonlightDezu wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:01 am I just checked Agbo's Wikipedia and it turns out they deleted the Information. Not only Battle but also the other project. Removing any Amazon distribution information (except for Grimjack) and the director name.
Thanks for following up and letting us know. I'd been checking on an off for information from any of the companies named there, but didn't see anything. Hopefully we'll hear more solid news soon.
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi everyone,

Here is a small feature film update reported from Emerald City Comic Con last weekend, where a panel about AGBO's upcoming projects discussed many of the company's plans. Among the panelists were AGBO's co-founder, Mike Larroca, Vice-President of IP/Development Albert Kim, and Vice President of Creative, Kassee Whiting. Kim said the Russo brothers are apparently set to direct the upcoming Battle of the Planets feature themselves. As further reported by Collier "CJ" Jennings on the But Why Tho? podcast website:

"The Russos are also slated to direct an adaptation of the classic anime series Battle of the Planets. Dan Casey, who wrote F9: The Fast Saga, has partnered with AGBO to write the script. Kim briefly discussed how the project would have a universal appeal similar to the original Battle of the Planets show. 'You sort of have to develop everything for a global audience,' he said while also stressing that the film would stay true to the core of the original series. Kim, Whiting, and Larroca also discussed how AGBO approaches crafting franchises, with Whiting aiming for a 'holistic experience' that would build organically upon films rather than attempting to pump out sequels."

You can read the full story here.