Battle of the Planets Feature Film

Including international versions
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Re: Battle of the Planets Feature Film

Hi Moonlight,
MoonlightDezu wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:30 pm IMDb already has a new update for Battle of the Planets info, and it turns out that it will be a TV Series, not a Movie. at least that's what the page description says.

You can check the link below
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10698566/? ... _flmg_wr_2
I think that's an older link referring to a television series that was under development through Tatsunoko and d-rights in Japan and Corus/Nelvana in Canada. That production, tentatively titled Battle of the Planets - Phoenix Ninjas, was in planning from about 2012 - 2017. It was officially announced to the public in January, 2015 and nothing else happened with it after that. Unfortunately it is no longer in development. A sole promotional image was made available with the press release:

corusbattlepromo.jpg
MoonlightDezu

Actually, I got this from Dan Casey's IMDb page which I assume it's a legit update. but you might be right. The update is yet to appear on both Russo brothers IMDb page.

but talking about the Corus reboot, I wonder why did they scrap it? even tho I'm not even liking it, I just wonder what kind of drama behind the scene that led this to cancellation.

by the way, here's dan IMDb page.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0143403/?ref_=tt_ov_wr
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Moonlight,
MoonlightDezu wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:25 pm Actually, I got this from Dan Casey's IMDb page which I assume it's a legit update. but you might be right. The update is yet to appear on both Russo brothers IMDb page.

but talking about the Corus reboot, I wonder why did they scrap it? even tho I'm not even liking it, I just wonder what kind of drama behind the scene that led this to cancellation.
Ahh, okay. Now that Casey been confirmed as a writer, hopefully a specific IMDB page for the feature will be added soon. I think the link to that project is just a mistake.

As I understood the situation with Corus, it came down to a problem with securing the financing to produce it. No money - no show.
Hinotori

I wasn't much of a fan of the character promotional art for Phoenix Ninjas. Looked too video game-y for my liking. But, I was still intrigued by the project and was interested in what the potential storyline would have been.

Another project that never came to fruition. Sadly, I'm getting used to that... :(
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Hinotori,
Hinotori wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:54 pm I wasn't much of a fan of the character promotional art for Phoenix Ninjas. Looked too video game-y for my liking. But, I was still intrigued by the project and was interested in what the potential storyline would have been.

Another project that never came to fruition. Sadly, I'm getting used to that... :(
I recall a lot of comments about the giant kneepads/guards. I think yours is the first I've read about it looking like a video game design, but I see what you mean.

There have been a fair amount of announced and then abandoned projects, yeah. Hopefully this new film will be able to navigate all the hurdles to actually make it to production.
MoonlightDezu

I just re-read the article in my free time yesterday, and someone on Twitter finds something quite interesting in the article. so the article that written by the collider has stated that :
Casey, who also wrote the screenplay for 10 Cloverfield Lane, is currently working with AGBO and the Russo Brothers to develop the foundation of a Battle of the Planets cinematic universe, leading creative development for the franchise’s expansion.
Okay, so what does Cinematic Universe mean here? wasn't Battle of the planets is completely a standalone Universe. if so, then that's only applied with Gatchaman since Tatsunoko already put them in one universe once.
Funny enough, this also sparks confusion amongst Japanese fans on Twitter. because of that sentence from the article, they thought they would adapt another Tatsunoko franchise and even mention "so it's gonna be Infini-T Force?" hahaha
Besides, I don't think they would reach the Cinematic Universe because I don't see it that could work at all with BoTP.

here's the source of the Japanese article: https://theriver.jp/gatchaman-writer/
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Moonlight,
MoonlightDezu wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:11 pm I just re-read the article in my free time yesterday, and someone on Twitter finds something quite interesting in the article. so the article that written by the collider has stated that :
Casey, who also wrote the screenplay for 10 Cloverfield Lane, is currently working with AGBO and the Russo Brothers to develop the foundation of a Battle of the Planets cinematic universe, leading creative development for the franchise’s expansion.
Okay, so what does Cinematic Universe mean here? wasn't Battle of the planets is completely a standalone Universe. if so, then that's only applied with Gatchaman since Tatsunoko already put them in one universe once.
Funny enough, this also sparks confusion amongst Japanese fans on Twitter. because of that sentence from the article, they thought they would adapt another Tatsunoko franchise and even mention "so it's gonna be Infini-T Force?" hahaha
Besides, I don't think they would reach the Cinematic Universe because I don't see it that could work at all with BoTP.

here's the source of the Japanese article: https://theriver.jp/gatchaman-writer/
I assumed it meant they were going to start from scratch to create brand-new standalone environments and motivations, characters, etc. Joe Russo already stated, "It’s going to be our own story that we tell surrounding a group of genetically altered kids who are involved in a space war… That could take months of gestating, and trying to figure out what the new mythology is." So I doubt, hope, they won't be trying to cross over with any other existing versions. I didn't get that feeling from reading what they've had to say so far. I hope they will try to keep Battle as Battle, and not mix in a lot of the Gatchaman story elements. Or did you mean something else?

If done properly the world of Battle of the Planets could be perfect to be build as a "cinematic universe." The team can travel anywhere in space, encountering limitless amounts of planets, creatures and peoples. Maybe they'll even find villains from worlds other than Spectra! I'm just meaning that with so many options, the tales could definitely be set on a large, cinematic scale.

Thanks for passing the link along. I've seen a few recent Japanese fan comments following the announcement of the writer, and I'm surprised the story is getting any press or fan traction there. Fans in Japan have tended to ignore Battle through the years, other than just as a passing reference that it was done. But then... if I grew up with Gatchaman, I might not have been too concerned about anything else either. ;-)
MoonlightDezu

Hi,
So I doubt, hope, they won't be trying to cross over with any other existing versions. I didn't get that feeling from reading what they've had to say so far. I hope they will try to keep Battle as Battle, and not mix in a lot of the Gatchaman story elements. Or did you mean something else?
if done properly the world of Battle of the Planets could be perfect to be build as a "cinematic universe." The team can travel anywhere in space, encountering limitless amounts of planets, creatures and peoples. Maybe they'll even find villains from worlds other than Spectra! I'm just meaning that with so many options, the tales could definitely be set on a large, cinematic scale.
That makes sense, but I also have an assumption that they'll make references from Gatchaman as well especially it is reported that they working with Tatsunoko for this feature project. I assume there's a chance as Russo brothers said that they'll start the franchise from the scratch, they probably will put elements from Gatchaman as well. just like those classic reboots let's say Transformers, Voltron, He-man, Speed Racer, or Gundam franchise spin-offs.

Also, talking about Gundam there's an unexpected reference that gags me out but just make sense by the Japanese fans from this sentence
genetically altered kids who are involved in a space war
from what I remember,
they said that it reminds them How Gundam seed (one of a reboot of the Gundam franchise) Rebooting one of the key stories by making the pilot a genetically enhanced soldier which in the Original series they just a normal soldier. just like how the Russo brothers will change the basics of the plot from the original.
I've seen a few recent Japanese fan comments following the announcement of the writer, and I'm surprised the story is getting any press or fan traction there. Fans in Japan have tended to ignore Battle through the years, other than just as a passing reference that it was done.
based on what I understand from their words, they have an expectation that this movie would be more about Gatchaman despite under the Battle title. so they kinda ignore Battle actually and expecting that this would be about Gatchaman they know. quite contrast from the western fans expectation but that's understandable

I Gotta gave you some tweets that I found :
https://twitter.com/Midomatu/status/1419144685654708230
https://twitter.com/sinku_gan/status/14 ... 5374517251
https://twitter.com/BabyDriver_EW/statu ... 6829959175
https://twitter.com/osilikala_pon/statu ... 4206631939
https://twitter.com/yurishinshi/status/ ... 3286384643
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Moonlight,

I tried to cut this down a little, but still make it clear what I was answering. Hopefully it works!
MoonlightDezu wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:25 pm Hi,
So I doubt, hope, they won't be trying to cross over with any other existing versions. I'm just meaning that with so many options, the tales could definitely be set on a large, cinematic scale.
That makes sense, but I also have an assumption that they'll make references from Gatchaman as well especially it is reported that they working with Tatsunoko for this feature project. I assume there's a chance as Russo brothers said that they'll start the franchise from the scratch, they probably will put elements from Gatchaman as well. just like those classic reboots let's say Transformers, Voltron, He-man, Speed Racer, or Gundam franchise spin-offs.
I wish I knew more, and I can't say for certain, but I think this project is going to be based on Battle, and not Gatchaman. But borrowing elements is entirely possible, especially since they're working with Tatsunoko. I just hope they don't do too much of it.

Also, talking about Gundam there's an unexpected reference that gags me out but just make sense by the Japanese fans from this sentence
genetically altered kids who are involved in a space war
from what I remember, they said that it reminds them How Gundam seed (one of a reboot of the Gundam franchise) Rebooting one of the key stories by making the pilot a genetically enhanced soldier which in the Original series they just a normal soldier. just like how the Russo brothers will change the basics of the plot from the original.
All of the G-Force characters in Battle are essentially genetically enhanced. The key elements to their powers are their Cerebonic implants. That was established in Battle from the beginning. Although for Japanese fans going by Gatchaman, yes, that would be an odd inclusion.

I've seen a few recent Japanese fan comments following the announcement of the writer, and I'm surprised the story is getting any press or fan traction there. Fans in Japan have tended to ignore Battle through the years, other than just as a passing reference that it was done.

based on what I understand from their words, they have an expectation that this movie would be more about Gatchaman despite under the Battle title. so they kinda ignore Battle actually and expecting that this would be about Gatchaman they know. quite contrast from the western fans expectation but that's understandable

I Gotta gave you some tweets that I found :
https://twitter.com/Midomatu/status/1419144685654708230
https://twitter.com/sinku_gan/status/14 ... 5374517251
https://twitter.com/BabyDriver_EW/statu ... 6829959175
https://twitter.com/osilikala_pon/statu ... 4206631939
https://twitter.com/yurishinshi/status/ ... 3286384643
I think the problem lies in Inagaki's article at The River. Although it had "Live-action, Hollywood Version Gatchaman Film..." in the headline, I didn't read through the whole thing before. I did now and I see it changed the wording from the original report.

Original report wording:
"Casey is working with Joe and Anthony Russo and their AGBO to help construct the foundation for a Battle of the Planets universe."

Translation of Japanese report:
現在、ダニエルはルッソ兄弟とともに「『ガッチャマン』ユニバースの基礎固め」を進行中。
"Currently, Daniel is in the process of 'constructing the foundation of a Gatchaman universe' with the Russo brothers."

That's not just a translation mistake, that's a change... based on what? So yes, of course referring to it as a "Gatchaman film" multiple times that will get the attention of the Japanese fans. But that type of reporting will only add to the confusion of the project. It's not what was originally said. That puts the Japanese fans' reactions and questions in context too. I can see why they're wondering what's going on.
Bobkat

I haven't read any of the articles, but this is beginning to sound like one big mess. This does not bode well in my book.