Your favorite part of the History of Battle Of The Planets.

Including international versions
Cure DragonEagle 255

Your favorite part of the History of Battle Of The Planets.

My favorite part is the part where just all seemed hopeless WNEW saved the show! A close second could be when Sandy Frank was inspired to buy Gatchaman when he saw the success Star Wars had. I know plenty will say he was a hack, but it always takes a big moment in history for someone to make a decision.
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Re: Your favorite part of the History of Battle Of The Planets.

Hi Cure DragonEagle,

Great question!
Cure DragonEagle 255 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:50 pm My favorite part is the part where just all seemed hopeless WNEW saved the show! A close second could be when Sandy Frank was inspired to buy Gatchaman when he saw the success Star Wars had. I know plenty will say he was a hack, but it always takes a big moment in history for someone to make a decision.
All good and important parts of the story - as we've known it. However, a lot of my recent research has started to poke holes in some of Sandy's claims about that "last minute" save. I'll give a detailed report when I have things ready, but let's just say for now that Sandy knew how to make things dramatic!

There's no question about his excellent timing and inspiration to remember Gatchaman when Star Wars started taking off though. Battle was probably his biggest original production success, and he chased after another like it for years.

My favorite part of the history (personal history)? Aside from seeing it several times a day for a couple years, that is, was probably finding fans outside my limited sphere of friends I had when growing up. It wasn't until the 1990s that I met more fans who remembered the show, and that opened up a whole new way to appreciate it.

More soon!
Cure DragonEagle 255

AWWWWW MAN. That's sure a splash of cold water! But it always seemed too fairy tale ish anyway! I am still super glad that it became a success. Do share what you've learned someday.
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Cure DragonEagle,
Cure DragonEagle 255 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:55 pm AWWWWW MAN. That's sure a splash of cold water! But it always seemed too fairy tale ish anyway! I am still super glad that it became a success. Do share what you've learned someday.
Sorry I sure didn't mean to ruin anything for you. Very briefly, what happened was sort of the reverse of the story Sandy liked to tell. Look at the headlines in the second and third trade ads on this page:
https://www.battleoftheplanets.info/botptradeads.html

Battle locked down some major market sales right out of the gate, which were enough to ensure he could begin production almost immediately (which he did). It was actually the smaller markets that needed more convincing in order to get proper coverage around the nation. Although that last-minute major sale did happen and certainly didn't hurt! It was probably just the one he remembered the best, so that's what he talked about.

But don't forget - you still have your close second as a favorite part of the history, and that at least can't be denied. Sandy had the vision to recognize the show would work and appeal to kids. He requested a film to watch from Tatsunoko and I still wonder if he saw the first episode, or something from somewhere else in the run. More than one episode maybe? I asked, but he could not recall, unfortunately. It would be great to know what Tatsunoko sent him to solidify his idea.
Cure DragonEagle 255

You are right! I was feeling a bit down after I learned the truth but you are right! He did have the vision that Gatchaman in whatever form he sold (Well he did think it wouldnt need any tampering whatsoever...how wrong he was lol.) would be a hit with kids! It was an amazing hit and kids all over loved it. Thanks for the pep talk man.