Fred Ladd RIP

Cure DragonEagle 255

Fred Ladd RIP

I am utterly ashamed that I cant eulogize the true blue anime pioneer. I hope Other Jason will do a more proper one. RIP MR Fred Ladd.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... 94/.176123

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zod4XmJrOtE

(He also worked on the Sailor Moon DiC dub.)
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Re: Fred Ladd RIP

Hi all,

As Cure DragonEagle noted, Mr. Fred Ladd passed away. He died on August 3rd at the age of 94.

More can and should be said about him than I can possibly write down. He was instrumental in bringing Japanese animation to North America. With series like Astro Boy, Kimba, the White Lion and Gigantor, he helped change entertainment in the 1960s. Of course, he also created G-Force in 1986, which has brought many fans here.

In person, Fred was a very nice, generous, trusting and funny man. He was the special guest at our first GatchaCon at the 1997 San Diego Comic-Con. He had nothing to promote, or any real reason to come down from Los Angeles other than to talk with fans. He had no idea what he'd be coming into, but he didn't hesitate for a second to say "yes."

That was back when it was still possible for smaller fan groups to arrange panel discussions there! He spent an hour educating the audience about the history of G-Force, which might have been one of the first places he ever discussed the series at length. It was a great time.

I know he enjoyed himself because he came back to the Comic-Con multiple times afterward on his own or with his son. He always made time to come by to meet the Gatchaman group and see how we were doing. He never, ever seemed to forget a name either. If someone wasn't there, he'd always ask where they were, and how they were doing.

He was a fun one, and always the center of attention wherever he was (in a good way). It's largely because of him that so many of us are here to meet and talk about animation today. If you want to read Mr. Ladd's story in his own words, he released a book through McFarland Publishing about his life, entitled :
Astro Boy and Anime Come to the Americas

fredladd97s.jpg
Mr. Fred Ladd at the 1997 San Diego Comic-Con, discussing G-Force

laddgcon97.jpg
Mr. Ladd and his wife, Eileen, with GatchaCon '97 attendees

laddgcon00aggies.jpg
Mr. Ladd had a blast with two costumed GatchaCon '00 attendees

I'm grateful to have met him and to have been able to spend some time with him. My deepest thoughts go out to his son and daughter.
Hinotori

This was so sad to hear. Fred Ladd was a (maybe the?) pioneer of the US anime industry. Anime in this country certainly would not be what it is today without him and the influences of his shows.

I hadn't realized that he produced Kimba, the White Lion. That was an early favorite of mine. It amazes me how many were involved in so many of the productions I enjoyed growing up (Ladd, Jameson Brewer, Franklin Cofod, Hoyt Curtain, etc, etc).

So glad so many in the fandom had the chance to meet him - and that he enjoyed it so much. I'm glad that those who are still here, who worked on BotP, are able to realize just how much their hard work meant to so many, and that we remember and thank them immensely for being such a large part of our childhoods.
Stardust

I too didn't realize he was responsible for Gigantor and Kimba, I watched them all growing up. He will be missed.
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Hinotori,
Hinotori wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:42 am This was so sad to hear. Fred Ladd was a (maybe the?) pioneer of the US anime industry. Anime in this country certainly would not be what it is today without him and the influences of his shows.

I hadn't realized that he produced Kimba, the White Lion. That was an early favorite of mine. It amazes me how many were involved in so many of the productions I enjoyed growing up (Ladd, Jameson Brewer, Franklin Cofod, Hoyt Curtain, etc, etc).
Absolutely right about Fred Ladd, he and the production company really got something going with Astro Boy. It's amazing to think how such a small amount of people brought us so many early memorable productions.

That's so great that you remember Kimba! :-)