Eagle Riders in the US

The Other Jason
Site Admin

Eagle Riders in the US

Hi all,

A little bit of discussion about Saban's Eagle Riders in another thread made me wonder - did anyone else here see the series when it first aired in the United States?

I wasn't plugged into the larger Gatchaman fandom, nor was I watching many cartoons on television in late 1996, but I think a blurb and publicity image in Animation Magazine made me aware of it. So I started watching from the beginning and continued to watch through all of the repeats. It was too bad they only ever scheduled 13 to air here. I hoped to see more, but it was never going to happen.

If you saw it when it first aired, what did you think? Did you know about it in advance, or stumble across it? Have a fan friend mention it to you?

erslick.jpg
An advertising slick for Saban's Eagle Riders
Bobkat

Re: Eagle Riders in the US

I did not watch on Fox when it first aired. I did stumble into it later, I believe through the fandom. I know that doesn't help, but it's what happened.

I was able to tape trade and got a hold of all 65 episodes out of Australia. The other end wanted G-Force: GoS and I sent him tapes of those since I recorded them off Cartoon Network in 1995.
Last edited by Bobkat on Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hinotori

I don't think I ever watched it when it was originally on. I remember stumbling across an adaptation on one of the Turner stations at some point, got excited because I thought BotP was being re-broadcast, then realized it was most definitely not BotP (I vividly remember thinking to myself "these are not the same names, situations, or music."). I'm pretty sure that it was G-Force, Guardians of Space that I found, but it could have been Eagle Riders.
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Bobkat,
Bobkat wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:41 pm I did not watch on Fox when it first aired. I did stumble into it later, I believe through the fandom. I know that doesn't help, but it's what happened.

I was able to tape trade and got a hold of all 65 episodes out of Australia. The other end wanted G-Force: GoS and I sent him tapes of those since I recorded them off Cartoon Network in 1995.
Yes, that's how I got to see it too. A very kind person in Australia taped them for me (I'll never get that "Cheez TV" jingle out of my head). There were even more surprises buried in the series, like all the rock/pop music references buried in the dialogue.
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Hinotori,
Hinotori wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:13 pm I don't think I ever watched it when it was originally on. I remember stumbling across an adaptation on one of the Turner stations at some point, got excited because I thought BotP was being re-broadcast, then realized it was most definitely not BotP (I vividly remember thinking to myself "these are not the same names, situations, or music."). I'm pretty sure that it was G-Force, Guardians of Space that I found, but it could have been Eagle Riders.
Ahh yes, the old Battle fake-out! ;-) Since you saw it on a Turner channel, it had to be G-Force. Eagle Riders was only syndicated to FOX on Saturdays.
Hinotori

The Other Jason wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:41 pm
Ahh yes, the old Battle fake-out! ;-) Since you saw it on a Turner channel, it had to be G-Force. Eagle Riders was only syndicated to FOX on Saturdays.
Wait a minute... Eagle Riders was shown on FOX, which in New York City used to be WNEW, the station BotP was shown on. So, in the end, the showings of BotP and Eagle Riders went full circle (at least in NY)?? That's quite interesting!
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Hinotori,
Hinotori wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:59 am
The Other Jason wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:41 pm
Wait a minute... Eagle Riders was shown on FOX, which in New York City used to be WNEW, the station BotP was shown on. So, in the end, the showings of BotP and Eagle Riders went full circle (at least in NY)?? That's quite interesting!
Ha ha, yeah very interesting! I wonder how many times that happened across the US?
Bobkat

The Other Jason wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:45 pm
Hinotori wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:59 am
Ha ha, yeah very interesting! I wonder how many times that happened across the US?
Yeah, probably in Louisville too as WDRB was independent for many years but eventually became a Fox affiliate. :D
Stardust

Was this the version with that awful back beat constantly running in the background?
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Stardust,
Stardust wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:38 pm Was this the version with that awful back beat constantly running in the background?
No, you're probably thinking of G-Force - Guardians of Space. It was adapted from the original Gatchaman, and in addition to its original music, often featured a single piece of new music that was added to much of the series.

Eagle Riders was adapted from Gatchaman II and Gatchaman Fighter. It had all-new music, which was specific to each episode.