First Impressions

Science Ninja Team Gatchaman - The original 1972 series
Bobkat

Re: First Impressions

Glad you're enjoying your viewing!

I checked out Microid S. If anyone is interested in some images, I found this site: http://sensei.rubberslug.com/gallery/in ... mID=364995

I know it's only a taste but it's worth checking out. I don't know if I'll pursue it any further, but it's fun to look at. :)
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Bobkat,
Bobkat wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:28 pm Glad you're enjoying your viewing!

I checked out Microid S. If anyone is interested in some images, I found this site: http://sensei.rubberslug.com/gallery/in ... mID=364995

I know it's only a taste but it's worth checking out. I don't know if I'll pursue it any further, but it's fun to look at. :)
Cool! Microid Z/S is something I've read about and seen pictures from, but have never actually seen an episode of the TV version. I guess there are similarities to Gatchaman, as Psycada said.

The images you posted were part of a story card (and I assume record) set. There were a couple record/story card sets done for Gatchaman and Gatchaman II. I think all were adaptations of existing episodes, but still nifty to experience.

We're still curious to hear your thoughts as you continue watching Gatchaman, Psycada! :-)
Psycada

-Man, the overarching plot is getting pretty heavy now. The emotional impact of Red Impulse’s death on Ken is REALLY well felt in those subsequent episodes (starting to think that wasn’t a fake out… oops).

-Truly love that they’re still asking “but are we SURE it’s Galactor??” WHO ELSE WOULD IT BE…

-IT WAS A FAKE OUT IT WAS A FAKE OUT! I’m writing this after the preview of the Phantom Red Impulse episode I KNEW he’d be back.

-Nevermind I got fooled by an episode preview…

-Looking back at eps 52/53 I’m starting to see Nambu/Red Impulse a little more. It’s really starting to read like they were dating and did the bare minimum to cover it up. Like, it’s already clear they trust each other since Red Impulse left Ken with Nambu, but it’s implied Ken’s mom was still alive at that point? But even then it feels like she was fabricated as she just appears as a vague woman in the background of Ken’s memories and he NEVER once mentions her in the first half of the series. Everyone else seems to mention both their parents when talking about their past too. I think there’s a family photo including her somewhere but besides that it’s almost like there’s barely any evidence of her actually existing. Since Ken is definitely blood related though, I can only assume Red Impulse DID marry a woman for a short amount of time before dating Nambu.

-Sorry was Joe sleeping/laying on the floor of his trailer in like ep 65? No bedframe no futon just a man brooding on the cold cold floor…

- “These new weapons aren’t for killing, but for self defence” *absolutely obliterates the galactor ships full of people*

Gonna go ahead and post this now, Psychonauts 2 JUST released and I’m downloading it as I type. As someone who was obsessed with the first game for five straight years you might not see me for a while… (well, you will, Gatchaman is pretty fun :D ).
Katblu42

I'm glad you're enjoying the emotional roller-coaster ride these episodes are taking you on!

There is a popular theory (I'm not 100% sure if it's canon) that Ken's mum was quite ill and died when he was around 10 or 11.

Looking forward to hearing more about your first impressions! :)
Hinotori

Psycada wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:29 pm
-Truly love that they’re still asking “but are we SURE it’s Galactor??” WHO ELSE WOULD IT BE…
Just wait until you get further into the series and they're still asking that question! :lol:

Katblu42 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:29 am There is a popular theory (I'm not 100% sure if it's canon) that Ken's mum was quite ill and died when he was around 10 or 11.
Yes, that's canon. She died of a "wasting disease". Many have interpreted that as leukemia or a leukemia-like disease, but that interpretation is fanon.

Keep going, Psycada! There's so much more to be revealed in the back-half of the series!