First Impressions

Science Ninja Team Gatchaman - The original 1972 series
Bobkat

Re: First Impressions

Glad you're enjoying your viewing!

I checked out Microid S. If anyone is interested in some images, I found this site: http://sensei.rubberslug.com/gallery/in ... mID=364995

I know it's only a taste but it's worth checking out. I don't know if I'll pursue it any further, but it's fun to look at. :)
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Bobkat,
Bobkat wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:28 pm Glad you're enjoying your viewing!

I checked out Microid S. If anyone is interested in some images, I found this site: http://sensei.rubberslug.com/gallery/in ... mID=364995

I know it's only a taste but it's worth checking out. I don't know if I'll pursue it any further, but it's fun to look at. :)
Cool! Microid Z/S is something I've read about and seen pictures from, but have never actually seen an episode of the TV version. I guess there are similarities to Gatchaman, as Psycada said.

The images you posted were part of a story card (and I assume record) set. There were a couple record/story card sets done for Gatchaman and Gatchaman II. I think all were adaptations of existing episodes, but still nifty to experience.

We're still curious to hear your thoughts as you continue watching Gatchaman, Psycada! :-)
Psycada

-Man, the overarching plot is getting pretty heavy now. The emotional impact of Red Impulse’s death on Ken is REALLY well felt in those subsequent episodes (starting to think that wasn’t a fake out… oops).

-Truly love that they’re still asking “but are we SURE it’s Galactor??” WHO ELSE WOULD IT BE…

-IT WAS A FAKE OUT IT WAS A FAKE OUT! I’m writing this after the preview of the Phantom Red Impulse episode I KNEW he’d be back.

-Nevermind I got fooled by an episode preview…

-Looking back at eps 52/53 I’m starting to see Nambu/Red Impulse a little more. It’s really starting to read like they were dating and did the bare minimum to cover it up. Like, it’s already clear they trust each other since Red Impulse left Ken with Nambu, but it’s implied Ken’s mom was still alive at that point? But even then it feels like she was fabricated as she just appears as a vague woman in the background of Ken’s memories and he NEVER once mentions her in the first half of the series. Everyone else seems to mention both their parents when talking about their past too. I think there’s a family photo including her somewhere but besides that it’s almost like there’s barely any evidence of her actually existing. Since Ken is definitely blood related though, I can only assume Red Impulse DID marry a woman for a short amount of time before dating Nambu.

-Sorry was Joe sleeping/laying on the floor of his trailer in like ep 65? No bedframe no futon just a man brooding on the cold cold floor…

- “These new weapons aren’t for killing, but for self defence” *absolutely obliterates the galactor ships full of people*

Gonna go ahead and post this now, Psychonauts 2 JUST released and I’m downloading it as I type. As someone who was obsessed with the first game for five straight years you might not see me for a while… (well, you will, Gatchaman is pretty fun :D ).
Katblu42

I'm glad you're enjoying the emotional roller-coaster ride these episodes are taking you on!

There is a popular theory (I'm not 100% sure if it's canon) that Ken's mum was quite ill and died when he was around 10 or 11.

Looking forward to hearing more about your first impressions! :)
Hinotori

Psycada wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:29 pm
-Truly love that they’re still asking “but are we SURE it’s Galactor??” WHO ELSE WOULD IT BE…
Just wait until you get further into the series and they're still asking that question! :lol:

Katblu42 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:29 am There is a popular theory (I'm not 100% sure if it's canon) that Ken's mum was quite ill and died when he was around 10 or 11.
Yes, that's canon. She died of a "wasting disease". Many have interpreted that as leukemia or a leukemia-like disease, but that interpretation is fanon.

Keep going, Psycada! There's so much more to be revealed in the back-half of the series!
Psycada

As expected Psychonauts 2 totally consumed my life, I took a decent break there but I’m back to watching Gatchaman! Starting back on episode 68...

-Joe HAS A BED confirmed
-Almost a face reveal for Katse! There was some really nice animation during that bit, really cool. Also interesting that Leader X seems to treat Katse like a disposable pawn, sometimes manipulating him(?), but also calls him “precious” here.
-More themes about the team not having any true agency… ep 75 once again has Ken calling out Nambu for treating them like robots. And then Nambu straight up saying Ryu can’t leave? Even when he sends them out to the shipwrecked sailors it seems like Nambu never quite learns how to treat the team well.
-RED IMPULSE IN THE PREVIEWS AGAIN?? I’m not believing it this time no fucking way.
-Yeah I knew it. My heart has been broken too many times
-Katse has so much anxiety and its interesting tropes-wise because this isn’t in the context of like, a much more comedic villain nor does he have some quirky relatable one liner to ease the tension, he’s a fully serious villain getting yelled at by his boss and it’s like damn bitch yeah I’ve been there. Very strange balance I’m having between watching Katse do obviously terrible things and then going “aw cmon leader X you know he doesn’t deserve that :/” like he's my shitty boss at a retail job. Katse qualifies as a poor little meowmeow I think
-EPISODE 78 JOE LORE… Ok that might just be one of my favorite episodes. Very interesting to see a very direct depiction of PTSD in something from the 70’s. Did some research and much like America it wasn’t well understood back then and was often considered a cowardly trait. As someone who had to struggle with this for several years there’s something strangely sweet about this incredibly shounen, action-packed anime suddenly becoming rather gentle for this subject. And having Joe of all characters be the one to communicate those feelings… It’s a very good episode all around. I’d say the ending is pretty inaccurate in how PTSD works but eh, there’s a certain hopefulness in it I can’t truly fault.

That’s it for now. Sidenote though, a friend of mine had watched Gatchaman Crowds way before we even met. Queue both of us going “wait, THAT’S Katse?!?” lol. I’ve seen a few snippets other Gatchaman adaptations, they all look pretty fun in their own way.
Psycada

SOOOO apologies for the roughly two year break here, I got distracted by a lot of other things. But it’d be a shame if I left the series unfinished, especially so far in. I also met a friend who’s really into Gatchaman so the interest got reignited. The first bullet point I wrote back then, but the rest of the bullet points are after my break

-Holy fucking shit it’s unfair that they’re giving Joe all the coolest episodes but like, ep 81 went so hard. I can’t even point to a specific moment, it just kept ramping up in intensity until the end. Joe collapsing after being shot in the church, the blood red sun behind Ken, Alan dying right in the center of the cross…
-Ok initially I was gonna keep this headcanon to myself but ep 81 totally solidified it for me… Joe is like, really REALLY trans coded to me. Obviously I don’t think the writers were intentional with this, but as a trans dude there’s a ton of details that parallel the experience. The old name, new identity, there’s his friendship with Lucy back in ep 27 where she says her “face, my voice, my body, even my mannerisms have changed since I’ve been at Galactor”. I’m not entirely sure how to describe it, there’s just something about the way Joe acts that feels like that very deliberate, artfully developed manhood a lot of trans men have. Maybe this sounds like a bunch of nonsense, but I think if you know, you just know.
-Man, add Dr. Demon’s death to the sheer fatalism of Gatchaman. Not sure how much I’m retreading here since it’s been a bit, but I'm still always struck by how death is so matter of fact in this series. Ken telling Demon “Why don’t you at least end your life like a proud scientist?” and his response being “Nambu sure has good people working for him.”... The lack of any other options, that Demon’s fate is sealed from the beginning, i think it shows just how far everyone in this world has been pushed to. I remember older episodes where the team seemed staunchly for peace, even when they were punching down baddies, then it was just Nambu, and now no one is bothering to keep that impossible dream up. I feel like the only possible victory in this series is a pyrrhic one.
-Is it just me or does the world seem to be ending just a little? Again it’s been a while but I feel like we were hearing about all these scientific advances at the start of the series, even when there was clearly a huge pollution event in the past, but now we’re seeing shortages of food and with ep 86 sugar.

Looks like a big Katse episode next! Hopefully I’ll have the time now to finally finish this series :D
Cure DragonEagle 255

I would love it if Joe was a trans guy. Such a badass and cool hero would be major representation.

Also there are some future moments in gatchaman that might be off putting to trans and or intersex people.
Psycada

Thanks for the warning, though I think I know what you're talking about already, I got spoiled for that reveal when I was looking up Gatchaman for the first time. I'm actually very interested in older media's depictions of transness, even when it's considered offensive by today's standards I still feel like there's interesting themes going on. I've mentioned my interest in Tezuka's work, his stuff has TONS of characters I've simply dubbed "genderweird" as they would fit the standard definition for being trans, but I don't feel they're made with any intention of being so. Princess Knight, Kei Kisaragi, Dororo, lots of one-off characters in Astro Boy, etc. are swapping genders left and right, and it's just part of the typical sci fi fantasy zaniness of his stories. Of course these characters come with other politics attached (Princess Knight tries to deconstruct the false dichotomy between male and female gender roles, Kei's story stems mostly from VERY misogynistic medical misunderstanding), but there's something nice about how casual these characters are.

All that to say I'm looking forward to the next episode, regardless of its content.
Cure DragonEagle 255

I am so happy you are enjoying Gatchaman so much! I really felt really lonely around here with almost no new discussion!