Hideaki Anno on Gatchaman

Science Ninja Team Gatchaman - The original 1972 series
MoonlightDezu

Hideaki Anno on Gatchaman

Hi guys

I don't know if you guys want to know about this or know about this before, but I think it's worth telling.

So if you guys know Hideaki Anno, he's one of the Popular and well Respected directors in the Anime and Japanese Cinema industry. His well-known works are "Neon Genesis Evangelion" which is Considered an Animated Masterpiece by Many. Not only Anime fans but also General audiences.
he also Directed "Shin Godzilla" in 2016 and that won Many Awards in 2017, one of them being the Japan Academy award of "Best of the year". He's currently working on "Shin Ultraman" and "Shin Kamen Rider" which both are based on the '60s and '70s Tokusatsu series.

on October 2021, he opens his Own exhibition in Tokyo after Completing his very last Evangelion Movie. In that exhibition, he's showcasing how earliest past works to his latest works, Also showcasing his Favorite and his Inspiration throughout his Life Through a very long Infographic. When I see the Infographic thoroughly, I spotted Gatchaman as one of them, along with other 70's Tatsunoko series like Casshan.

Can't see it? let me zoom in

It's in the middle, if you were familiar with the Kanji name you'll notice it.

Sadly, there are no words from him about Gatchaman or Casshan's Impression or how it's Influenced him as a Creator. But besides, I'm glad that Gatchaman is recognized by one of my favorite directors. He's Pretty much the person of Culture. Perhaps his Take on Gatchaman would be pretty cool to see. Otherwise, I'm so glad he's Noticed this Anime and admitted it as part of his Influence.
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Re: Hideaki Anno on Gatchaman

Hi Moonlight,

Thanks for pointing that out!

I know it isn't much, but there are past interviews with Mr. Anno, where he mentioned being impressed with Tatsunoko animation. Some of the techniques helped him with early projects he created in college. Mostly by the way explosions and flying debris were handled in Gatchaman and how various machines came apart in Time Bokan (which is also on his list!). He said he felt "mesmerized" by level of detail he saw in their drawings.
MoonlightDezu

Hi Jason,

Well, I definitely agree with Mr.Anno in terms of that point. Tatsunoko's earliest work was Great Sakuga example of classic Anime. The details from the Animation like the debris or the Character design was really good for the 70's Anime.

Since he talks a lot about Tokusatsu or Sunrise Gundam Franchise, I wish I can hear more about His impression of Tatsunoko Animation.
Cure DragonEagle 255

I will never forget how realistic the explosion of the Turtle King Base was on Gatchaman! I want to make a Sakuga (Outstanding Animation) thread for Gatchaman, if that wont break any rules.
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Moonlight,
MoonlightDezu wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:46 am Well, I definitely agree with Mr.Anno in terms of that point. Tatsunoko's earliest work was Great Sakuga example of classic Anime. The details from the Animation like the debris or the Character design was really good for the 70's Anime.

Since he talks a lot about Tokusatsu or Sunrise Gundam Franchise, I wish I can hear more about His impression of Tatsunoko Animation.
Absolutely, it would be nice to hear his specific memories about any Tatsunoko shows. He was just the right age for so many of their super hero titles.
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Cure DragonEagle,
Cure DragonEagle 255 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:02 am I will never forget how realistic the explosion of the Turtle King Base was on Gatchaman! I want to make a Sakuga (Outstanding Animation) thread for Gatchaman, if that wont break any rules.
Great idea, go for it! I think it would be great to hear others' thoughts on scenes that stand out to them. :-)
Stardust

Cure DragonEagle 255 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:02 am I will never forget how realistic the explosion of the Turtle King Base was on Gatchaman! I want to make a Sakuga (Outstanding Animation) thread for Gatchaman, if that wont break any rules.
Agreed, the explosions always blew me away at how they were done.