European Battle of the Planets Comics

Bit

European Battle of the Planets Comics

Hi, this is Bit

Now that the wonderful episode guides are complete, I hope to continue with the weekly fun. For I have some things I don't think many fans outside of Europe have seen.

There were lots of comic books, magazines and albums produced in France, Italy and Spain. I am going to put them here at this message board, and as agreed with the owner, they will be limited availability. There will be a link for each comic that will be valid for ONE WEEK only. I won't repost issues, unless someone finds mistakes to correct. In which case I will fix and repost.

The idea is to present each comic as if you were reading them as released, except in English. So all of the names used in each country will remain. For instance, Mark and Jason were Marc and Theirry in France, Ken and Joe in Italy and so on.

Comics will vary in size. Some are only 5 or 6 pages, some will be around 50 pages. Art is kept as issued, except for sound effects. If it was "Boum!" In French, it was changed it to "Boom!" and so on. Certain printing flaws have been fixed as well. Colours have been kept as issued, except for correction to remove page yellowing and to strengthen black line work. Typefaces are kept the same as much as possible. Handwritten lettering was replaced with comic lettering.

Comics will be offered in pdf format, since it is probably the most universal to everyone.

I will start with comics from Italy's Corriere dei Piccoli magazine, which means something similar to a Courier (messenger) for the Little Ones, or Children's Courier. The only covers I translated for this series were the three that featured Battle of the Planets. The rest are in Italian.

This series ran from November 20, 1981 to November 7, 1982. Corriere came out every week, and that should have meant a Battle of the Planets story every week. But the comic seemed to lose popularity quickly. It went from the beginning of the magazine, to being buried near the end in a matter of weeks. Then around July, 1982, it only appeared every so often. When it ended, there were 32 Battle of the Planets comics. Each was 6 pages in length. Some of these stories were adapted from existing sources, like the American comics or the French comics. But most were originals.

Here is a chart of some of the names if you have any questions. Italy presented a mish-mash of ideas from Battle of the Planets and Gatchaman, and used terms and stories from both.

italynames.jpg

I will try to post a new item every Saturday or Sunday. I will skip around a little bit to keep things interesting. There will be a few weeks from France, Italy and Spain at a time, in other words. In the end I hope to have almost every European comic made available to fans.

Oh yes I almost forgot!

This week's comic is Children's Courier #47 from 27/11/1981 - The Mysterious Tempest (remember, valid link for ONE WEEK)

I really hope you enjoy this journey into some new and different adventures.

Bit

P.S. Here's some before and after examples of different items, so you have an idea what was done.

itsamps.jpg
francesamps.jpg
Last edited by Bit on Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bobkat

Re: European Battle of the Planets Comics

Thank you, Bit!

These are very cool! I really appreciate the comparison table too. It'll help to keep everyone straight. :D
Bit

Thank you Bobkat. I am glad you like it. I hope others enjoy it too!

This week's comic is Children's Courier #48/49 from 4/12/1981 - The Emergency at Central (remember, valid link for ONE WEEK)

Bit
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Bit,
Bit wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:27 pm I will try to post a new item every Saturday or Sunday. I will skip around a little bit to keep things interesting. There will be a few weeks from France, Italy and Spain at a time, in other words. In the end I hope to have almost every European comic made available to fans.

Oh yes I almost forgot!

This week's comic is Children's Courier #47 from 27/11/1981 - The Mysterious Tempest (remember, valid link for ONE WEEK)

I really hope you enjoy this journey into some new and different adventures.
Welcome to the boards and thanks for such an incredible offering! I'm looking forward to finally being able to read all these comics. You're right, there are a lot of them!
Bit

Thank you The Other Jason,

This week's comic is Children's Courier #50 from 11/12/1981 - The Ice Monster (remember, valid link for ONE WEEK)

Bit
Bit

This week's comic is Children's Courier #51/52/1 from 8/1/1982 - Zoltar's Error (remember, valid link for ONE WEEK)

Bit
Bit

This week's comic is Children's Courier #2/3/4 from 22/1/1982 - The Lake Monster (remember, valid link for ONE WEEK)

Bit
Bit

This week's comic is Children's Courier #5 from 29/1/1982 - The Fire Giant (remember, valid link for ONE WEEK)

This week's Children's Courier entry is the end of stories adapted from the American comic books. After this week, their stories were adapted from French comics, Japanese episodes or completely original.

Here are the counterparts from the first six weeks
1 - The Mysterious Tempest - based on American comic #1, story B - Undersea Threat
2 - The Emergency at Central - based on American comic #3, story A - Solar Blockade
3 - The Ice Monster - based on American comic #2, story A - Ice Creature
4 - Zoltar's Error - based on American comic #1, story A - Operation: Decoy
5 - The Lake Monster - based on American comic #3, story B - The Lake Monster
6 - The Fire Giant - based on American comic #2, story B - The Flaming Menace
Sorry I did not mention earlier!

Bit
Bit

This week's comic is Children's Courier #6 from 5/2/1982 - Ken's Betrayal (remember, valid link for ONE WEEK)

This week's Children's Courier is the first story adapted from a French original.
Ken's Betrayal - based on The Little Juniors of Tele 7 Days, French comic #31 - Marc's Treason.

Do not worry, we will visit the original version of the story from France at some point.

Bit
Bit

This week's comic is Children's Courier #7 from 12/2/1982 - The Unknown Planet (remember, valid link for ONE WEEK)

This week's Children's Courier is the second story adapted from a French original.
The Unknown Planet - based on The Little Juniors of Tele 7 Days, French comic #30 - The Unknown Planet.

We will visit the original version of the story from France at some point.

Bit
Last edited by Bit on Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.