European Battle of the Planets Comics

Bit

Re: European Battle of the Planets Comics

This week's comic is Children's Courier #8 from 19/2/1982 - Terror Beneath the Ocean (remember, valid link for ONE WEEK)

This week's Children's Courier is the third story adapted from a French original.
Terror Beneath the Ocean - based on The Little Juniors of Tele 7 Days, French comic #22 - Terror Under the Ocean.

We will visit the original version of the story from France in the future.

Bit
Bobkat

Thank you, Bit!! I've been enjoying these comics immensely!

Too much fun! :)
Bit

Thank you Bobkat!! I'm glad you're enjoying them. There are many many more to come!

This week's comic is Children's Courier #9 from 26/2/1982 - Zoltar's Trap (remember, valid link for ONE WEEK)

This week's Children's Courier is the fourth story adapted from a French original.
Zoltar's Trap - based on The Little Juniors of Tele 7 Days, French comic #29 - The Capture of Zoltar.

This week's comic had the mistaken title of Zoltan's Trap in Italian, but I have changed it to Zoltar to be correct.

Once more I say we will visit the original version of the story from France in the future.

Bit
Last edited by Bit on Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bit

This week's comic is Children's Courier #10 from 5/3/1982 - Riu's Birthday (remember, valid link for ONE WEEK).

This week's Children's Courier is the fifth story adapted from a French original.
Riu's Birthday - based on The Little Juniors of Tele 7 Days, French comic #25 - The Diabolical Trap.

Battle of the Planets appeared on page 4 of Children's Courier as the lead comic in the magazine. It seemed to slip in popularity though, and after this issue it was sent to the back of the magazine. From then until its final appearance, it was placed on page 42 (except one issue where it was on page 38), which meant it was the last comic in the issue. A big demotion.

Bit
Bit

This week's comic is Children's Courier #11 from 14/3/1982 - The Giant of Spectra (remember, valid link for ONE WEEK).

This week's story is the first to be partially based off a Battle of the Planets episode, #58 - Giant From Planet Zyr.

This is the first week that the Battle of the Planets comic appeared at the tail end of Children's Courier on page 42, where it would remain for the rest of the time it appeared in the magazine (except for one issue where it was on page 38).

Bit
Bit

Have we had enough from Italy for a little while? I hope the answer is yes, because this week features the first comics from France. These are from a monthly Battle of the Planets magazine that went to 9 issues.

The series ran from November of 1979 through to July of 1980. Issues came out monthly and featured a 16 page Battle of the Planets comic to lead off. Additional contents included articles about popular music and subjects of interest to kids, like model kits, safaris, helicopters and the like. Each issue also included some games, many were based on Battle of the Planets. There was also a poster/calendar for the month in each issue with a new Battle of the Planets drawing.

For these releases, I have translated the covers, introduction page (which tells you character names and more) and the comic stories only.

Here is a chart of some of the names if you have questions about them.

France Terms.jpg

This week's comic is Battle of the Planets #1 from November, 1979 - Alert! Lunar Danger (remember, valid link for ONE WEEK).

I hope you enjoy these French magazine comics.

Bit
Bobkat

Thanks again for posting these, Bit! It's greatly appreciated!

What kind of games were in the magazines? Were they word searches, mazes, or something else? :)

You also mentioned the month/calendar - were these brand new drawings or something re-used from Tatsunoko? If they were new, they would be neat to see. :)

These are too fun and thank you for your work on translating them. :D
Bit

I'm glad you enjoy these. The games were just as you guess, plus more. All of the calendar drawings were new, created for the magazines. I have not included them. For some it is because I do not have them. For others it would be difficult since the games only work in French. Since you asked, here are some extras from magazine No. 1. First the calendar of November, 1979. it highlights the days to see Battle of the Planets on French TV, and when the magazines and comics would be released.

BOTPFRMAG001CAL.jpg
Last edited by Bit on Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bit

Here are the games from the first issue - translated, and with the game that only works in French (the second image), the solution is included. Have fun playing!

BOTPFRMAG001GAME1.jpg
BOTPFRMAG001GAME2.jpg
BOTPFRMAG001GAME3.jpg
Bobkat

Thanks for sharing these, Bit! It's greatly appreciated!!

These give us an idea of what's included. I get it if you don't have them all. I'm so happy you shared what you could. :)

Thanks again!