Diamond Select, and Top Cow issue with certificate!

KenTheEagle

Diamond Select, and Top Cow issue with certificate!

Disclaimer: Due to some circumstances of life choices, I am no longer active on twitter and manually put it on lock. I also don't post on here as well, so I am sincerely sorry for this news.
Last edited by KenTheEagle on Tue May 04, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KenTheEagle

Re: Diamond Select, and Top Cow issue with certificate!

Disclaimer: Due to some circumstances of life choices, I am no longer active on twitter and manually put it on lock. I also don't post on here as well, so I am sincerely sorry for this news.
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Ken,

Old or new, it's always fun to see what others have in their collections and to hear what they think of their items. :-)

I did find it interesting with the Mark figure, that the G-Force sticker has come off the packaging. Is it still loose inside the blister? Also... that just looks like the helmet was glued on improperly. I don't remember seeing any others like that, but I'm sure they exist.

I cringe inside a little every time I see this package and certain other Battle items. I mistakenly called Mark's jet by a wrong name and that's what got used on just about every piece of newer merchandise that referenced it. The problem came from not having decent video copies of the series, and a fan friend and I mis-hearing the term when they named it. It is, of course, correctly named the "Sonic Jet."
KenTheEagle

The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Ken,
KenTheEagle wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:14 pm Yes, it came off, and I think it was tapped back on. Right now Mark/Ken was freed of his card, and going to be put into a display case which will be coming in the mail soon- the comic today is sealed away in a nice frame.

And looks improper? Oof, well, that happens. Either way, that really stinks to hear all that. Especially in the early 2000s, firmly recall when times were so difficult to require such when I came on around the early 90s. If only they had today's conveniences, a sanction would be saved!

For being so old, the joints held up quite decently. I do get scared of it breaking suddenly, had it happen before with a Korean bandai figure. It was made out of transparent plastic with age grew brittle and finally snapped after it bending after being sealed for all those years. That is why I stirred clear of the remakes of the Medicom BOTP after seeing more, and more apparently having their paint come off, or snapping due to age. Love how they look, but posing them would scare me!

And thanks for the little info! I wonder, where did these toys appeared in back in the day? Where they in places like Spencers and so forth? I know in California would be a bit different from my location, and granted I don't have a decent memory due to close outs, and changes of stores. I never really been to KB Toys unless you drove really down to Orlando and back, so that is what I was curious about.
Ha ha, it's strange to hear these figures called "old," but I suppose they are. I remember making the announcement in-person to our fan group that toys were finally coming. That was probably in 2002. I also remember helping to approve the figures and making notes on the sculpts before they were produced. It seems like yesterday but it was closer to 20 years ago. Yikes.

I am glad they've held up for you though. I remember reading a few reports about some of the weapons breaking down soon after they were opened. Keyop's "bolas" and Princess' Yo-yo strings were particularly fragile. I guess some of the capes had the issue too. For some reason at least one of the runs of the packaging for the Princess figure has packaging blisters that are prone to yellowing too. Some are fine.

The toys were sold through Previews Magazine and could be purchased through and at comic stores. Retailers like FYE, Suncoast Video, Tower Records and even Hot Topic carried them also. At least the first wave. The second wave was harder to find at regular retail. The figures were not distributed in regular toy stores like K*B Toys or Toys "Я" Us.

The whole thing with the Medicom Gatchaman figures was really a shame. I have a couple sets of their figures, one I opened and another I kept in the box. Both are breaking down, so it didn't matter if they were handled or not. Fortunately the ones made for the US market (in the Battle of the Planets packaging) seem to have held up a lot better. Their uniforms are made of different material... but they're also a lot looser fitting and don't look as nice.
KenTheEagle

Last edited by KenTheEagle on Tue May 04, 2021 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Other Jason
Site Admin

I love that lighted figure stand! It reminds me of the Carbonite chamber in Empire Strikes Back.