New Gatchaman Book

The Other Jason
Site Admin

New Gatchaman Book

Hi all,

Neko Publishing in Japan has announced a new Science Ninja Team Gatchaman mook (magazine/book) to be published on August 16. It will be part of their ongoing Entertainment Archive Series, which examines specific television shows.

mook1.jpg

From their release: "There are an endless number of fans enthusiastic about three dimensional objects based on this series. This release is a complete mook full of rare contents comprised of plastic models, toys and animation model sheet drawings."

The main chapters will be "The World of Gatchaman Plastic Models" which will contain rare plastic models that have been made since the first series was broadcast, and "The World of Science Ninja Team Gatchaman," which will present a "large number" of animation model sheets from Gatchaman, Gatchaman II and Gatchaman Fighter.

The mook will be in Japanese. The page count was not released, but previous Neko Publishing mooks have run between 130 - 196 pages.

Title: Entertainment Archive Series Alpha - Science Ninja Team Gatchaman FILE
Author: Koji Nakamura
Released: 8-16-21
Price: ¥2,970 (approximately $27.06 USD)
Publisher: Neko Publishing
ISBN 4777025187

It can be purchased internationally from:
Amazon Japan ¥2970 (approximately $27.06 USD)
CD Japan ¥2,700 (approximately $24.63 USD)
HobbyLink Japan $26.87
Katblu42

Re: New Gatchaman Book

Wow, this really interests me.

I would be tempted to buy it, but I don't think I'd understand enough of the writing - I'd really love it to be translated into English!
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Katblu,
Katblu42 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:32 am Wow, this really interests me.

I would be tempted to buy it, but I don't think I'd understand enough of the writing - I'd really love it to be translated into English!
I'll do a review when it arrives and let you know how much text is inside. Hopefully there will be good news for you! :-)
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi all,

It looks like you have your answer, Katblu! A few sample images are now available for the mook.

mook4.jpg
Opening spread

mook3.jpg
Contents spread

mook2.jpg
Model art spread

mook5.jpg
Character art spread

There is a bit of text, but it seems to be very image-heavy. I know it helps to know what the text is saying about the images, but hopefully these samples can help you decide.
Bobkat

Concerning the new book, James gave a nice write-up on the BotP Mailing List including:
If you’re put off by the fact that the text is, yes, all in Japanese, you’d needn’t be too concerned. Yes, the text is Japanese, but this is a mostly visual book, with very minimal text to be concerned about. If you’re looking for an in-depth, thoughtful analysis of the 3 series, even if all in Japanese, and don’t really have an interest in model sheet collections or model kits, then you might wish to skip this book. But if you’re buying it for the many, many pretty pictures, you won’t be disappointed.
His write up is longer than this but he pretty much gave a thumbs up for the book. However, this last paragraph should calm any fears of a lot of Japanese text and not understanding it.

Hope this helps anyone on the fence about this book. :)