Upcoming God Phoenix model kit!

The Other Jason
Site Admin

Upcoming God Phoenix model kit!

Hi all,

Academy Plastic Model Co., Ltd. of Korea will be issuing a God Phoenix model this December. The super-detailed "Newtro" (New + Retro) design takes elements of the original design and updates them to a more modern feel. For once, I think it mostly works. I'm not crazy about the strangely colored top piece on the fuselage, but I can live with it.
2e6130374dc1714aa5e2d96d0d5555c8-640x439.jpg
It will be a "snap-tite" style kit with multi-colored parts. Meaning no glue or painting will be needed. A range of extra parts including all the individual G-1 through G-4 Ninja Team vehicles, open/closed landing gear doors, open/closed VTOL nozzles, open/closed Bird Missile and Super Bird Missile bays, a display stand, rear engine jet flames, parts to store or show the individual vehicles in place and a firebird nose piece. If that's not enough, it can also be displayed in G-5 hovercraft mode with the wings canted down, and it will have an LED light function.

The model will measure 33cm (approx. 13") long when completed, or 40cm (approx. 16") long with the Firebird parts attached.
Here are some photos
Academy_Gatchaman-S1_God-Phoenix_1st-introduction_11-640x480.jpg
Academy_Gatchaman-S1_God-Phoenix_1st-introduction_09-640x480.jpg
Academy_Gatchaman-S1_God-Phoenix_1st-introduction_10-640x480.jpg
Academy_Gatchaman-S1_God-Phoenix_1st-introduction_12-640x480.jpg
Academy_Gatchaman-S1_God-Phoenix_1st-introduction_16-640x480.jpg
Academy_Gatchaman-S1_God-Phoenix_1st-introduction_17-640x480.jpg
Academy promotional video 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj9ZFuO ... e=youtu.be

Academy promotional video 2:
https://youtu.be/S9mlwEaeHRU

It will be available in Japan this December and will be priced at ¥6,980 (approx. $66 US). When I find a reliable location for pre-orders, I'll be sure to post it!

UPDATE - 11/20/20
The Ban Chang Go YouTube channel posted a 13 minute video discussing the new model on November 14, which included the following picture of the fire parts on its nose:
acafirephoenix.jpg

There is also another, earlier 12 minute video from Academy themselves, which focuses on the upcoming God Phoenix model. They show some of the features on a nearly finished example, including how they ended up representing the fin on Ken's airplane, the LED feature - which appears to be included in the basic version of the kit - and more.

Unfortunately both videos are in Korean, which I do not understand. Even with YouTube's auto translation feature, I'm not too sure of any additional details. Is anyone here able to provide more information from the discussions?

The Other Jason
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Re: Upcoming God Phoenix model kit!

Hi all,

Here is a picture of the box art for the upcoming Academy Models God Phoenix kit.

gpmodel.jpg

The price for the God Phoenix is ₩42,000 (approx. $38.00 USD). It looks like they're expected in stock in Korea in mid-December.
tatsunokofan

Hi all!

This Korean God Phoenix model kit is being distributed in Japan come March. Just the regular version, not the deluxe version, alas. Anyway, with that, I can let you know of a reliable retailer who will be carrying it for the Japanese retail price: Hobbylink Japan. They're a Japan-based company I have dealt with before, and would happily recommend them.

Their listing for preorders for this model can be found here:

https://www.hlj.com/science-ninja-team- ... -acd15792s

No word yet on whether or not the individual vehicle models will also be released in Japan, but we can hope!

James
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi all,

They're in! In Korea at least...

Here are a couple pictures of pallets full of God Phoenix models...
korpallets.jpg

Each one will include a full-color instruction sheet and as far as I can tell, a full-color sheet of 28 ttakji game pieces, as seen here:
ttakji.jpg

I don't know if the ttakji sheet will be included in the Japanese releases next year.

More soon!
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi all,

I received one of the Academy God Phoenix model kits on December 31. I ended up ordering from an eBay-owned site in Korea called Gmarket. They have a version of the site in English and I found it to be a painless process. The final cost to arrive to me was $51.33US.

Gmarket determines price based on the cost of the item, domestic shipping charges (sometimes these are free) and international shipping. They accept PayPal and charge up front for the price of the item and their shipping estimate. Once the item arrives at their warehouse, they weigh it and determine the actual shipping cost. If their estimate is under, they will ask for additional payment before shipping. In my case, their estimate was over. So I received a credit for the full amount in my account of the difference in "Smile Cash," which can be applied to a future purchase.

The only shipping method they allow to the US is DHL, but even with the charge for that, it still cost a lot less than I'm predicting the God Phoenix kits will be once they hit US retailers (for example, the Gatchaman II New God Phoenix model which has roughly the same retail price in Korea, ranges around $90 - $100US).

Here's the Gmarket home page

Here is the Eagle Five Brothers search term, if you would prefer to try that way: 독수리 오형제

Or, here is a direct link to sellers that offer international shipping.

You'll have to sign up for an account, which is free. Exchange rates can make the prices vary, but I didn't think my price was too bad at all. If you find the right seller and time it right, you'll probably be able to get one of these kits for less than $50US.

Mine arrived very well-packaged and there was no damage to the box or interior parts.

Good luck!