Funko Pop! Gatchaman Figures

The Other Jason
Site Admin

Re: Funko Pop! Gatchaman Figures

Hi all,

I took some time to grab a few photos of the Funko Pop! Gatchaman figures. They didn't come out as well as I would have liked, but hopefully the details I will mention are visible.

First, I should say I'm not too knowledgable about Pop! figures. Some of the things that stand out to me may be common practice for their lines, or old news to anyone who collects them regularly. Overall, I''m impressed with the level of detail and accuracy (within the limits of representation style) that the figures have. Maybe a fan of the series had a hand in designing them.

The colors are accurate and applied correctly. The paint applications on mine are mostly well done, not sloppy or messy. The decorations on the holsters and types of pouches on the team members' belts are correct. The weapons for each Ninja Team member look great and again, have the correct colors. Ken's boomerang even has tiny little red eyes painted on it. They're very hard to see, but they're here. Joe is holding his air gun and a feather dart, Jun is holding her yo-yo. The wrist bracelets have the correct designs on their bands, and the yellow faces even have a little dot where the light would be.

On the individual figures, I think the only real mistake I noticed was that Ken and Joe have the same helmet decorations. They should vary slightly as shown here:
kenjoehelmets.jpg

It looks like they took the simple way out and used one helmet sculpture (with Ken's decorations) for both figures. The visors for both are the same too, although in the correct colors. Both Ken and Joe have eyelashes, which I thought was a neat touch. They also both have different hair styles and colors. Speaking of hair... Jun's is the right green color! Amazing!

Jun has a peg hole in one of her feet so she can be placed on a clear stand (included). However, my Jun didn't need it. She stood just fine on her own. Joe, on the other hand was nearly impossible to get to stand upright. I think his legs got slightly warped in the package. A couple seconds of bending the opposite direction allowed him to stand for a brief amount of time. Then... *klunk!* Back down he went. Unfortunately there are no peg holes in Ken or Joe's feet or I could have used Jun's stand.

Okay, enough yakking, here are the photos

funkokenturns.jpg
Ken

funkokendetails.jpg
Ken Details

funkojoeturns.jpg
Joe

funkojoedetails.jpg
Joe Details

funkojunturns.jpg
Jun

funkojundetails.jpg
Jun Details

I like how this 3/5 of the Ninja Team turned out. I'm surprised that they got so much right and paid attention to most of the small details and differences on each Ninja Team uniform. I hope they'll consider doing more Gatchaman figures in the future. The rest of the team - of course, Berg Katse, a Galactor soldier, Red Impulse, Dr. Nambu.... the God Phoenix! What other figures would any of you like to see in the line?
Bobkat

Thanks for the photos The Other Jason!

What other figures would I like to see? All the ones you listed but I just thought of another character that doesn't ever get much love. What about Sosai X? :)

In original form, of course. :D I don't want to see a giant pyramid and a googly eye! :lol:
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Bobkat,
Bobkat wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:31 am Thanks for the photos The Other Jason!

What other figures would I like to see? All the ones you listed but I just thought of another character that doesn't ever get much love. What about Sosai X? :)

In original form, of course. :D I don't want to see a giant pyramid and a googly eye! :lol:
You bet, I was glad to take the pictures!
Wow... I can't even imagine what a figure of X would look like in this style. Or maybe I can...

funkoxmock.jpg
Bobkat

LOL!! He looks kinda cute! :D

Just a thought. :)
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi all,

A friend let me know that the Gatchaman Pop! figures are due to arrive in comic shops across the US on October 6 (according to Previews World's new release list for this week). So, if you haven't been able to find a set online yet, you may be able to stop in a local comic store and get them. Here they are as listed in Previews #395, August, 2021 (page 523):

previews395p523.jpg

Good luck!