Gatchaman and more no longer on HiDive

The Other Jason
Site Admin

Gatchaman and more no longer on HiDive

Hi all,

In yet another move that seems to indicate Tatsunoko Production's licenses are reaching their ends through Sentai Filmworks, both the original Gatchaman series and Battle of the Planets are no longer available to stream via their HiDive service. Other Tatsunoko-produced series like Judy Boy and Casshan have also been removed.

What is still streaming as of today (May 23)? The animated Gatchaman feature film, sequels Gatchaman II and Gatchaman Fighter, the Gatchaman OAV series and both Gatchaman Crowds. How long they will be there is unclear.
Cure DragonEagle 255

Re: Gatchaman and more no longer on HiDive

Kurenai Sanshiro is Judy Boy lol. That got a laugh out of me.
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Yes. I wish they had picked a less silly sounding name for the show's English title. I think kids here in the US could have handled Sanshiro, for example (not that it ever would have been screened here in the 60s or 70s). Or something to do with the color "red." But Judo Boy takes away from the mostly dramatic type of show it was.
Hinotori

The Other Jason wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:13 pm Yes. I wish they had picked a less silly sounding name for the show's English title.
*cough*Egobossler = Happy Boy*cough*
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Hinotori!

Welcome to the boards. :-)
Hinotori wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:27 am
The Other Jason wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:13 pm Yes. I wish they had picked a less silly sounding name for the show's English title.
*cough*Egobossler = Happy Boy*cough*
Well, yeah... there was that. "Happy Boy" sure didn't leave many fans feeling that way. :-) I think there actually was some audible coughing when that name was revealed at the Comic-Con! Be thankful Saban didn't use some of their earlier options. The only one I remember off-hand was "Merryman." His naming all stemmed from the fact Egobossler laughed a lot and sometimes wore a mask with a large smile on it, you see.

But we can blame all that on Saban. Tatsunoko picked Judo Boy themselves. Although to be fair, Tatsunoko's two main brothers did work on a comic called Judo Boy (the title used the English words, not Japanese ) in the early 60s. Maybe they liked the sound of it in English?

Happy Boy... oh boy. :-D
Hinotori

The Other Jason wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:45 pm
Well, yeah... there was that. "Happy Boy" sure didn't leave many fans feeling that way. :-) I think there actually was some audible coughing when that name was revealed at the Comic-Con! Be thankful Saban didn't use some of their earlier options. The only one I remember off-hand was "Merryman." His naming all stemmed from the fact Egobossler laughed a lot and sometimes wore a mask with a large smile on it, you see.
I can only image the executive’s conversation after the fan reaction…

“Oh, boy. That didn’t go over well.”

“Do you think we should change it? I mean, these are fans of the series, and who would make a better test audience for the name than them? If they don’t like it…”

“No. We’ve spent enough time and effort on this and none of the other options had the same ring to it. Since we’re appealing to a younger audience, and want to keep the name consistent with the fact the character wears a smile mask and laughs a lot, there aren’t too many other options…”

:roll: :lol:
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hiya Hinotori!
Hinotori wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:18 pm I can only image the executive’s conversation after the fan reaction…

“Oh, boy. That didn’t go over well.”

“Do you think we should change it? I mean, these are fans of the series, and who would make a better test audience for the name than them? If they don’t like it…”

“No. We’ve spent enough time and effort on this and none of the other options had the same ring to it. Since we’re appealing to a younger audience, and want to keep the name consistent with the fact the character wears a smile mask and laughs a lot, there aren’t too many other options…”

:roll: :lol:
I would love to have heard what the executive reported back to Saban about the fan reaction! Sadly, by the time we got to screen the Happy Boy episode at Comic-Con, the series was already done. I doubt they would have changed anything - again. Because believe it or not, what we saw as Eagle Riders, was actually their second attempt at it. There were a number of episodes done, then that new exec took over, scrapped them all and gave us what we ended up seeing. I want to know if any of the earlier examples survived.
happyboy.jpg
Happy happy, joy joy!
Bobkat

The Other Jason wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:40 am Hi all,

In yet another move that seems to indicate Tatsunoko Production's licenses are reaching their ends through Sentai Filmworks, both the original Gatchaman series and Battle of the Planets are no longer available to stream via their HiDive service. Other Tatsunoko-produced series like Judy Boy and Casshan have also been removed.

I've been meaning to ask, The Other Jason, because I thought of this several days ago (too much going on!). Would this licensing issue have any impact on the upcoming Russo Brothers project for Battle? Could this potentially stall the new project?

And I probably put this in the wrong thread - if so, sorry! Feel free to move this where more appropriate. :)
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Bobkat,
I've been meaning to ask, The Other Jason, because I thought of this several days ago (too much going on!). Would this licensing issue have any impact on the upcoming Russo Brothers project for Battle? Could this potentially stall the new project?

And I probably put this in the wrong thread - if so, sorry! Feel free to move this where more appropriate. :)
If you're asking if the possibility of Sentai losing the license for Battle would affect the feature - no. There shouldn't be any impact or delays for the potential Battle feature because of that. The two things are completely separate entities.

However, the reverse is true. A new Battle feature could absolutely influence another home video company to pick up the license for the original TV show again.

Which would be fine with me. I'm still hopeful to see the entire series released on home video here in the US.