Endings

Science Ninja Team Gatchaman - The original 1972 series
Bobkat

Endings

Apparently, I need to get out more because I had other thoughts occur to me.

Gatchaman, in general, usually has open ends for the series. They are not alone - Battle, G-Force, and Eagle Riders are ALL guilty! :D

So let's take it one at a time:

Gatchaman 105: The team returns to base one short, but we never see Joe's body. We're pretty sure he's dead but just how did he disappear? (I'm thinking JUST from the prespective of the 105 ending, not the explaining what happens at the beginning of Gatchaman II). Who later dismantles Galactor's base? Obviously, Earth is rebuilding after all the attacks by Galactor. We also see Katse jump into the volcano after Sosai leaves him behind. But I wonder - is that No. 2 pencil refillable? :lol:

Battle 85 (The Conway Tape Tap): Zoltar vows to keep attacking - but just how does he plan to do it? Obviously, the team isn't going to allow him to go unanswered. Speaking of the team, does Jason face disciplinary actions upon his return to Earth? After all, he took the Phoenix BY HIMSELF to Spectra. Granted, the Phoenix is a super ship that can go across space in nothing flat. I just wonder how many scientists talk to him upon his return - "you traveled in space ALONE!" Might have some ramifications for other space travel. :) Does Zark and Susan keep up their flirting? Do they ever meet? Is Rover ever successful in flooding the Think Tank? :lol:

Gatchaman II 52: We know where this one goes - it's starts up Fighter!

Gatchaman Fighter 48: The biggest question on this one: what happened to the team? Were they killed? Did they sacrifice themselves? Did they escape onto another plane of existence? How does Earth go on if the ninjas are dead? What happens if another enemy attacks? (insert shoulder shrug here)

G-Force: GoS 85 (Galactor's Deadly Trap): The closing scene shows Peewee sitting outside alone essentially licking his wounds. Is this the catalyst for him to make a change? Does he quit the team? Do his teammates help him out? I would say that probability is low based on the scene in the hospital. Is Galactor up to something even more treacherous? The evil-doers in this series do not have a good track record. They go after animals (boo!!!). Does someone decide the backbeat is finally too much? :lol:

Eagle Riders 65 (Vorak Resolution): We see a bit of flashback in this one. Is Hunter haunted by Lukan's howl? Did Dr. Keane think through his proposition to Mallanox? Does Cybercon ever give back his costume to Lion-O? Does Justin actually turn back to the human race or does he sell out hard? Why does the Vorak train stop outside the new HQ? Weren't they smart enough to build tracks all the way into the base!? (Hello! BART!) Speaking of the new base, is that a 60w light bulb? Is it LED or incadescent? If it's the latter, what are ya'll thinking!? :lol:

Welcome to my little, messed up world of my off-kilter mind :P
Last edited by Bobkat on Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stardust

Re: Endings

I love you Bobkat!
Bobkat

The feeling is mutual, my friend :D
Cure DragonEagle 255

I have to say I agree with Star! You are the best!
The Other Jason
Site Admin

If you go by the suggested viewing order and/or the Schedule A order for Battle, its ending is more tragic. Since it's "Invasion of Space Center, Part II," Spectra scores a major win and leaves G-Force hurting. Imagine that being your last new episode.

If Sandy Frank had gotten Gatchaman II, then maybe Zark's claims of building a "brand-new, ultra-modern" structure to replace Research Center might have resulted everyone moving to the new G-Town base.

I always wondered if Pimer would have been Zark in that instance, too. Or perhaps another fine Quanto-Tobor Labs product. :-)
Cure DragonEagle 255

The Other Jason wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:07 pm If you go by the suggested viewing order and/or the Schedule A order for Battle, its ending is more tragic. Since it's "Invasion of Space Center, Part II," Spectra scores a major win and leaves G-Force hurting. Imagine that being your last new episode.

If Sandy Frank had gotten Gatchaman II, then maybe Zark's claims of building a "brand-new, ultra-modern" structure to replace Research Center might have resulted everyone moving to the new G-Town base.

I always wondered if Pimer would have been Zark in that instance, too. Or perhaps another fine Quanto-Tobor Labs product. :-)
This is what I love about Battle Of The Planets. It was not afraid to be a hard hitting drama. Even softened it brought drama and pathos to the forefront.
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Bobkat,
Bobkat wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:45 pm
Gatchaman 105: The team returns to base one short, but we never see Joe's body. We're pretty sure he's dead but just how did he disappear? (I'm thinking JUST from the prespective of the 105 ending, not the explaining what happens at the beginning of Gatchaman II). Who later dismantles Galactor's base? Obviously, Earth is rebuilding after all the attacks by Galactor. We also see Katse jump into the volcano after Sosai leaves him behind. But I wonder - is that No. 2 pencil refillable? :lol:

Welcome to my little, messed up world of my off-kilter mind :P
Of course it's refillable! But it can only use "No. II" lead... ;-D