Battle of the Planets Feature Film

Including international versions
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Battle of the Planets Feature Film

Hi all,

I'm looking forward to news on the development of the Battle of the Planets feature. What do you think?

The Other Jason
Bobkat

Re: Battle of the Planets Feature Film

I'm cautiously optimistic.

I just hope they stay within the spirit of the series and gives us the characters we know and love. :)
KenTheEagle

This maybe a little lengthy, but I will give it a go:

I hope it is a little like Top Cow's Battle of the Planets were it throws in different carried over resources, and little innuendo to various renditions. I am the type of guy who likes a fresh coat of paint when I see it, like Infini-T Force for example, but having the look and appearance of the original; the entire gang in their 1970s look, and same for the birdstyle. Love that, would really love that.

While I mainly grew up on G-Force/Gatchaman, I don't mind the appeal of this if they clock everything in just right and pray for the best, you know? It is ironic too that this was announced a year before I became a fan, so I came in the right time. Once theaters become safe again, you sure will definitely see me in there going to watch it on the big screen and probably enjoy it!
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi all,

Nearly a year after the previous major update about the Battle of the Planets feature, the Russo brothers were interviewed by Eric Francisco about their time growing up in Cleveland, Ohio and how it helped them with their careers. They mentioned the Battle of the Planets feature in one specifc portion, which can be read on inverse.com:

"And there's Battle of the Planets, the childhood favorite of the Russos. Known as Gatchaman in its native Japan, its premise of a five-person superhero squad who defend Earth in bird costumes was the influential template for milennal hits like Voltron and Power Rangers.

'We're working hard on the script, we're hoping to get into our pur pipeline at AGBO soon,' Joe says. 'We're reinventing it for the modern age. We loved the cartoon growing up. We're gonna take what we love and convert it into something new.'"

There is much more information about the Russos' early lives and projects in the article, as well as their recollections of rushing home to watch Battle after school.
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi all,

Here's a small bit of Battle of the Planets feature film news that appeared today!

Actor, producer, director and writer, Dan Casey has been mentioned as a screenwriter for the project. The news was reported by Adam Graham, in the June 23, 2021 edition of The Detroit News. The relevant information from the article follows:

"Casey is now focusing on screenwriting — he also wrote 2018's sci-fi adventure Kin, with Myles Truitt and Zoë Kravitz — and he has a number of projects in the works, including an adaptation of Battle of the Planets with the Russo Brothers (Avengers: Endgame), an adaptation of the 1963 sci-fi novel Way Station with Cloverfield director Matt Reeves, a superhero project with DC Films that is still TBA, and an original script titled The Pinkerton that he sold to JJ Abrams' Bad Robot Productions."

Casey's current project in theaters on June 25, is F9: The Fast Saga (the ninth The Fast and the Furious film), which was co-written with director Justin LIn. I would link directly to the story, but it is currently behind a subscription wall.
MoonlightDezu

The Other Jason wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:25 pm Hi all,

Here's a small bit of Battle of the Planets feature film news that appeared today!

Actor, producer, director and writer, Dan Casey has been mentioned as a screenwriter for the project. The news was reported by Adam Graham, in the June 23, 2021 edition of The Detroit News. The relevant information from the article follows:

"Casey is now focusing on screenwriting — he also wrote 2018's sci-fi adventure Kin, with Myles Truitt and Zoë Kravitz — and he has a number of projects in the works, including an adaptation of Battle of the Planets with the Russo Brothers (Avengers: Endgame), an adaptation of the 1963 sci-fi novel Way Station with Cloverfield director Matt Reeves, a superhero project with DC Films that is still TBA, and an original script titled The Pinkerton that he sold to JJ Abrams' Bad Robot Productions."

Casey's current project in theaters on June 25, is F9: The Fast Saga (the ninth The Fast and the Furious film), which was co-written with director Justin LIn. I would link directly to the story, but it is currently behind a subscription wall.
> Writer of F9
> Check his IMDb immediately
> reading all of his Filmography
> his record was :|

Oh god, my optimism for this Live action is getting lower. I'm not even seen the movie yet but my friends hate it and reviews show negative feedback.

F9 aside, I'm Still anticipated the movie and waiting for more announcements in the future. I hope Russo brothers can do the Battle of the planets with justice. I hope they are aware of Gatchaman's existence and take the elements from it.

also, you can see Dan's IMDb here https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0143403/?ref_=tt_ov_wr
Hinotori

MoonlightDezu wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:13 am
> Writer of F9
> Check his IMDb immediately
> reading all of his Filmography
> his record was :|

Oh god, my optimism for this Live action is getting lower. I'm not even seen the movie yet but my friends hate it and reviews show negative feedback.
Yeah, I wasn't too thrilled seeing the F9 connection either (I'm just not a fan of the entire "Fast and Furious" franchise). So, I'm just going to continue with my usual stance whenever it comes to a new BotP or Gatchaman project...cautious optimism.
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi all,

Interesting that new discussion should be going on about this today. With the San Diego Comic-Con @Home happening this weekend, I was expecting to hear bit more news, and something popped up a little early. Deadline.com is confirming the earlier report that Dan Casey is the writer for the Battle of the Planets feature.

"Casey is working with Joe and Anthony Russo and their AGBO to help construct the foundation for a Battle of the Planets universe. Casey’s feature screenplay will kick off the expansion of this franchise across multiple media. AGBO and Casey will work with Tatsunoko, the creators of the iconic, original anime series, on concepts to explore and expand the IP in-depth."

You can read the much longer story here.

I agree with Hinotori... cautious optimism. The Russo brothers are admitted fans of the series, so I hope they will remember what made it special and memorable to so many around the world, and try to incorporate some of that feeling into the project. I'm sure it's a difficult thing to try to find/capture again and I sure hope they're able.
Bobkat

I would agree, cautious optimism but I'm with MoonlightDezu - I'm not expecting much.

Who knows, maybe we'll pleasantly surprised.

If they do bring elements from the original over, I hope it's in line with the spirit of Battle and not Gatch. They're two separate entities with their own characters, their own universes. I don't want to see Mark become Ken, Jason become Joe, right on down the line. They're different! Keep 'em that way!! :)

(I also understand my opinion means nothing in the grand scheme other than I will watch or not)
MoonlightDezu

IMDb already has a new update for Battle of the Planets info, and it turns out that it will be a TV Series, not a Movie. at least that's what the page description says.

You can check the link below
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10698566/? ... _flmg_wr_2