Was Gatchaman a kids show in Japan?

Original series, II, Fighter, movies and more!
Cure DragonEagle 255

Was Gatchaman a kids show in Japan?

I have heard conflicting accounts of whether it is a kids show or not. I know the man who can answer this dire question! JASON! No... the Other one, yup. THE OTHER JASON!
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Re: Was Gatchaman a kids show in Japan?

Hi Cure DragonEagle,
Cure DragonEagle 255 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:37 pm I have heard conflicting accounts of whether it is a kids show or not.
Ha ha, far from the only one, but I can try. :-) Yes, Science Ninja Team Gatchaman was absolutely a children's show, as were just about all of the series from Tatsunoko. One of their few to stray from that type was Decision (Ketsudan, an animated documentary about World War II that ran from April 3 - December 25, 1971). After that, studio President Tatsuo Yoshida pretty much mandated that "Tatsunoko is for children," and subsequent programs under his watch were geared for kids of various ages. Although Gatchaman was created to pull in youngsters, it started to naturally attract older viewers and got more serious/adult in tone. But it wasn't really meant that way from the beginning.
Cure DragonEagle 255

Re: Was Gatchaman a kids show in Japan?

I used to read some older interviews that Gatchaman was one of the first times where anime really made profound questions like the nature of evil and seeing a beloved character like Joe die. I really want to find that interview OR article I am not sure which was it.