Life as a Syndication Kid: What was it like?

Cure DragonEagle 255

Life as a Syndication Kid: What was it like?

I am a cable kid but ever since I learned about Cartoon TV Syndication I've been fascinated with the process. Can you guys please share stories of growing up as Syndication Kids?
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Re: Life as a Syndication Kid: What was it like?

Hi Cure DragonEagle,

I'm not sure I quite understand what you're asking. But, if it's strictly about over-the-air television, I don't think I can really add much. I grew up in an area of the US that adopted cable very early. The only times I can remember not having it was in my family's first house. I think we moved from there when I was 6. But while there, I watched syndicated shows like Adventures of Superman, Batman, The Brady Bunch, Star Trek The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends and Combat!. I also remember The Hollywood Squares, a syndicated game show. I'm sure I saw a lot more syndicated shows while there, but those are the only ones really coming to mind for certain. I don't remember a lot of the circumstances around watching the programs though.

I had cable in our second house (although I also had my own antenna set, the only specific thing I remember watching on it was the first made-for-TV Captain America film), and aside from a couple months in my family's third place, have had cable in all subsequent houses.

Although, if that's not what you meant, let me know and I'll see if I can give you a better answer.
Bobkat

Hi CureDragon!

I didn't move around like The Other Jason, I grew up in the same place - southern Indiana. It was farming area. We lived right off a state highway and had easy access to things.

My syndication experience was different because for years we had only one TV in the house (as an adult, I have 2). We picked up the channels out of Louisville, KY - WAVE 3 (NBC), WHAS 11 (CBS), WLKY 32 (ABC), WDRB 41 (Independent), 15 (don't recall the call letters but it was PBS) and 68 - part of the Kentucky Educational Network. Nevermind that 41 eventually went Fox along with WHAS and WLKY trading affiliations. Probably WAY more info than you wanted, but there it is. :)

Everybody ran a little bit of everything. I remember watching Emergency!, Adam-12, Battle, Three's Company, Hogan's Heroes, Star Trek and several others including those that The Other Jason mentioned. They were shown along with local news and programs 7 days a week. Louisville was really good about that - we got just about a bit of everything.

WDRB also aired four movies on Sundays back in the day: starting with a comedy or kid's movie, another comedy, a drama and something even darker as the last one. The Godzilla movies would usually be in the first batch.

I guess it all depended on what was in the market at the time. When I moved to Anchorage and cable was available (my parents got satellite when I moved out to the USAF), there were still several shows in syndication including Star Trek: the Next Generation and Babylon 5. And this was long before all the back channels (diginets) started up.
Cure DragonEagle 255

The Other Jason wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:50 pm Hi Cure DragonEagle,

I'm not sure I quite understand what you're asking. But, if it's strictly about over-the-air television, I don't think I can really add much. I grew up in an area of the US that adopted cable very early. The only times I can remember not having it was in my family's first house. I think we moved from there when I was 6. But while there, I watched syndicated shows like Adventures of Superman, Batman, The Brady Bunch, Star Trek The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends and Combat!. I also remember The Hollywood Squares, a syndicated game show. I'm sure I saw a lot more syndicated shows while there, but those are the only ones really coming to mind for certain. I don't remember a lot of the circumstances around watching the programs though.

I had cable in our second house (although I also had my own antenna set, the only specific thing I remember watching on it was the first made-for-TV Captain America film), and aside from a couple months in my family's third place, have had cable in all subsequent houses.

Although, if that's not what you meant, let me know and I'll see if I can give you a better answer.
This an awesome answer, sure its not what I wanted but I actually feel better because I feel a bit better as a cable kid (If the awesome Other Jason is a cable kid I am proud to be one too!) and I love your enthusiasm and love for the medium of Television.

Also thank you kat! That's what I wanted to know and is the best answer. I always wondered, "Oh what did kids watch with no Nickelodeon or CN?"

I appreciate anyone just posting. I love this place and I want it to be buzzing with activity.