A "What If"

Aired in the US, Canada, UK and other English-speaking territories
Bobkat

A "What If"

I had a thought the other day and I'm not sure where it would go to be honest. So bear with me.

It concerns ep 102 (I think I have the number right) where Katse is unmasked. There is a decision made by Ken to allow Katse to escape, rather than kill the enemy. (I know Sosai was involved too, but ultimately, Ken let Katse escape) It's a tough decision to be sure but one that maybe he later regrets seeing as Joe is left behind in the Himalayas.

Now, I'm going to flip this on its head (and thus why I put it in the BotP thread). Do you think Mark would have done the same for Zoltar? Of course we don't see this ep in BotP but it was a thought that occurred to me as I was falling asleep.

Now, we not only have 2 separate teams but differing dynamics as well. So it boils down to this: would the BotP crew do the same as the Gatch team if put into the same situation? Of course, neither has a crystal ball to know the ultimate outcome of this decision and that's the conclusion of ep 105.

I'll start out by saying the BotP crew wouldn't leave Jason behind in 105 - they would have found a way to get him back to the ship one way of another. :) Their dynamics suggest that, at least to me.

But getting back to Mark. I think he would make the same decision as Ken. Mark can be cold-blooded but I don't believe he's that heartless. I also think if he did kill Zoltar, he might have a mutiny on his hands as his team would no longer follow him, including Jason who was the most in danger in ep 102.
Katblu42

Re: A "What If"

I think for Ken it was a case of hesitating in the moment, still processing everything they'd just learned about Katse's past and feeling a degree of sympathy, and he regrets it almost immediately.

I agree Mark would probably also let Zoltar go in that moment, but his decision might be more considered than Ken's?
But it would also depend on the moments leading up to Zoltar's unmasking as to the motivation for allowing him to escape. Have they just learned something about Zoltar's past that could garner sympathy? Or is there some other plot point that would motivate Mark's decision in this moment?

Ken was just as capable of being ruthless as Mark, but I don't think either of them would be able to just kill their arch-enemy in this particular moment.
Stardust

Well this is a fun discussion to start Bobkat.
I want to start by saying the problem I have always had with episode 102 is after Ken let's Katse escape and explains why, Jinpei responds with, why, they aren't even human. Which to me, is sad that Jinpei can be this heartless, because they are still a sentient being, albeit a twisted being, that still has feelings and emotions. Also it is inaccurate because he's a mutant yes, but they are a mutated human. And that's where Ken's sympathy lies, realizing that Katse had two lives stolen from them. Katse realizes this too in 105 and says so after X betrays them.
Would Mark do the same? Well before we can answer that we need to know what Zoltar's back story is, because Mark is ruled a little more by his emotions than Ken is.
Zoltar would need a backstory to evoke emotion, not just from Mark, but from the audience. (sounds like a fic idea)
My empathy for Zoltar has always been he is the leader of a dying planet and is desperate to save it. Rather ask for help from earth, this alien being from another planet, has convinced Zoltar the only way to save Spectra is taking by force. Very much like how the Cardassians are in Star Trek TNG, where they take Picard and the leader explains to them why they are the way they are. (In fact I have toyed with a crossover fic idea where the Cardassians and Spectrans team up.)
So maybe Mark would let him go based on Zoltar was a desperate ruler trying to save his people and the only help came from some twisted alien. But I am not sure if that would be a strong enough reason for Mark.
Bobkat

I was so hoping you would respond, Stardust. :)

It's true we don't know a lot of the backstory of the BotP characters, but that still doesn't mean Mark would react differently. This is the point Katblu42 brought up. :) Thanks for your response too, Katblu!! :)

Based on what I've seen of Mark's leadership, I think he would still have reservations of taking out Zoltar. I know Mark has been ticked at him in several episodes but I don't believe the G-Force Commander would take out his enemy. As you pointed out Stardust, Zoltar is a desperate leader trying to save his world and his people. The real villain here is The Great Spirit.

BotP even toyed with that concept a few times. "Fastest Gun in the Galaxy" comes to mind. I think Mark and Princess even got a glimpse into how The Great Spirit works in that ep.

On another note, there has been more than one occasion that Mark was more interested in taking Zoltar in to answer for his crimes than to kill the enemy outright.

Any other thoughts? :)
Stardust

Bobkat wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:59 pm I was so hoping you would respond, Stardust. :)

Based on what I've seen of Mark's leadership, I think he would still have reservations of taking out Zoltar. I know Mark has been ticked at him in several episodes but I don't believe the G-Force Commander would take out his enemy. As you pointed out Stardust, Zoltar is a desperate leader trying to save his world and his people. The real villain here is The Great Spirit.

BotP even toyed with that concept a few times. "Fastest Gun in the Galaxy" comes to mind. I think Mark and Princess even got a glimpse into how The Great Spirit works in that ep.

On another note, there has been more than one occasion that Mark was more interested in taking Zoltar in to answer for his crimes than to kill the enemy outright.

Any other thoughts? :)
Actually that's the reason Mark wouldn't take him out, to get to the Spirit. You're absolutely right Bobkat, he wants Zoltar to answer for his crimes. Jason, however, I believe won't hesitate to kill him.
Cure DragonEagle 255

This is a lovely and interesting topic. I think that if in 78 Winifred Triemer allowed Katse's full backstory to be adapted Mark would be sympathetic to Zoltar. He's a way more sensitive and empathic soul than Ken who is a bit harder.