Despite all the edits Battle Of The Planets has a TV-14 ratings on streaming.

Including international versions
Cure DragonEagle 255

Despite all the edits Battle Of The Planets has a TV-14 ratings on streaming.

Wow this confirms something I was suspecting. Despite the major edits and changes to remove violence and other unkid friendly stuff, Battle Of The Planets is still quite the edgy show. It was made in an era that frowned on violence but it managed to get a lot to slide.

Oh and the fanservice on "Cupid does it to Keyop" and other intances that would have NEVER GOTTEN past censor today.
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Re: Despite all the edits Battle Of The Planets has a TV-14 ratings on streaming.

Hi Cure DragonEagle,
Cure DragonEagle 255 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:39 am Wow this confirms something I was suspecting. Despite the major edits and changes to remove violence and other unkid friendly stuff, Battle Of The Planets is still quite the edgy show. It was made in an era that frowned on violence but it managed to get a lot to slide.
Curious.

I *think* it was "TV-Y7" on the Anime Network back around 2002. That meant it was rated okay for those 7 or older.
When it aired on Boomerang in 2004, it was rated "TV-Y7 FV" That meant it was rated okay for those 7 or older, due to "Fantasy Violence."
I don't remember what it was rated the first time it streamed on Hidive. Does anyone else remember?

As you probably know, there was no ratings system in place when Battle first aired in the US. But Sandy Frank wanted the changes made so the series wouldn't traumatize children. He was very aware of that point.

For a little bit of comparison, here are some video ratings from around the world...

Australia
Siren Home Video (DVD) 2002
PG - Parental Guidance recommended for persons under 15 years. Low level violence

Madman Home Video (DVD) 2005
PG - Parental Guidance recommended for persons under 15 years. Medium level violence (For all volumes and compilations)

France
Declic Images (VHS and DVD) 2002
TP - Tous Publics (suitable for all audiences, essentially)

Italy
Yamato Video (DVD) 2006
T - Pellicola per Tutti (suitable for all audiences, essentially)

Spain
Suevia Films (DVD) 2005
1-6 Todos los Publicos (suitable for all audiences, essentially)

Llmentaol (DVD) 2013
Apta Todos los Publicos (suitable for all audiences, essentially)

UK
Longman Video (VHS) 1984
U - Suitable for all
Most of Longman's VHS releases were put out before the ratings system was in place, but four of them came out after, and were all given U ratings.

Mollin Home Video (VHS and DVD) 2000
U - Suitable for all (for all VHS and DVD releases)

Universal Home Video (VHS and DVD) 2002 and 2004
U - Suitable for all (for all VHS and individual DVD releases)
PG - Parental Guidance (for the Complete Series DVD box set)
Even though all the episode discs got U ratings, the bonus disc got a PG, which meant the entire box had to have the PG rating.

Battle was released on home video the US with no rating in place.

I hope this was of interest!
Stardust

Re: Despite all the edits Battle Of The Planets has a TV-14 ratings on streaming.

I have a few thoughts on to why it may be the 14yr old rating.
There's a lot of laws going around in regard to transgender, non binary, and such. Unfortunately I live in a state that is enforcing those kind of things, mainly no talking about sexual identity in the primary grades and don't get me started on the book banning.
So other than some obvious violence and such, my favorite villain, is a gender bender. Poor Zoltar might confuse a child in regard to sexual identity. (This is said in a sarcastic tone)
Understand I am just stating observations of what's going on these days.
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Stardust,
Stardust wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:51 pm I have a few thoughts on to why it may be the 14yr old rating.
There's a lot of laws going around in regard to transgender, non binary, and such...
I suppose anything's possible, but that was never really part of Zoltar. Mala was introduced as a completely separate character to address that aspect. We know Zoltar had long blonde hair under the mask, but that's about it.

At any rate, I looked at Gatchaman on the Hidive site and it's rated "TV-PG." Which is a lighter rating than "TV-14." So I don't put much real weight or reasoning behind their choices.
Cure DragonEagle 255

Stardust wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:51 pm I have a few thoughts on to why it may be the 14yr old rating.
There's a lot of laws going around in regard to transgender, non binary, and such. Unfortunately I live in a state that is enforcing those kind of things, mainly no talking about sexual identity in the primary grades and don't get me started on the book banning.
So other than some obvious violence and such, my favorite villain, is a gender bender. Poor Zoltar might confuse a child in regard to sexual identity. (This is said in a sarcastic tone)
Understand I am just stating observations of what's going on these days.
That's from the Uncut Gatchaman. This was not a thing on Battle of the Planets. Still, I thank you for posting on this thread. I love this please and chatting with you guys.

EDIT: Also I love how The Other Jason continues to be awesome and provide a great talk with loads of information.

Oh and I think the sexual banter on Battle could have been a factor.

Lucy: Dont you like girls who can defend themselves?

Jason: Not with a gun!

(Oh and this sort of talk would also be verboten due to the mere MENTION of a gun. On Cable sure, but not on The CW or even famously lenient network Fox, One Piece and DBZ Kai removed all mention of guns, even if its just a call your attacks thing with no actual guns involved.)
Bobkat

It could be any number of things.

But I'm with Stardust. In 1978, we didn't necessarily know about Zoltar (Katse). All we knew was that he was a master of disguise. It should have clicked with the number of women he pretended to be.

But now in 2024, we know that history from the original anime. While the editing did some to take it out, as adults, we can see where some was still left in. It may not be obvious, but it's there.

Also the gun issue and the fact that the team fought the bad guys a lot. We see kicks, punches thrown and guns fired from both sides. Nevermind the missiles being shot from the Phoenix!

And as you pointed out, the innuendo between Zark and Susan. Sometimes, they get into creepsville. :lol:

I think it's a matter of what's happening today too. There's a lot of issues with transgender in the state legislatures as well as the very real threat of guns in the workplace and schools. The 1970s politics weren't this rife with these issues.
Stardust

Yes, BotP didn't deal with the whole gender bender issue. But that doesn't change the fact that Zoltar's lips look like he is wearing lipstick (I still think the creators did that to show the expression better, Jason, please correct me if I am wrong. I am thinking along the lines of why Disney's horses have eyebrows)

And having been an art educator, the little ones focus on the face. Mommy why is the man wearing lipstick? That sort of thing is where my thinking lies. Understand, I don't agree with it, but people are ridiculous and will point something like that out and blow it out of proportion.

It's sad really that this is how some people think. The LGBTQA community is under serious fire right now in my state, because of this thinking.

Maybe that's not one of the reasons why its got the 14 rating, and trust me I want to think that way. But I just wanted to present a possible reason behind it.

Oh and yeah, the Susan and Zark innuendos are absolutely creepy.
Cure DragonEagle 255

Stardust wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:06 pm Yes, BotP didn't deal with the whole gender bender issue. But that doesn't change the fact that Zoltar's lips look like he is wearing lipstick (I still think the creators did that to show the expression better, Jason, please correct me if I am wrong. I am thinking along the lines of why Disney's horses have eyebrows)

And having been an art educator, the little ones focus on the face. Mommy why is the man wearing lipstick? That sort of thing is where my thinking lies. Understand, I don't agree with it, but people are ridiculous and will point something like that out and blow it out of proportion.

It's sad really that this is how some people think. The LGBTQA community is under serious fire right now in my state, because of this thinking.

Maybe that's not one of the reasons why its got the 14 rating, and trust me I want to think that way. But I just wanted to present a possible reason behind it.

Oh and yeah, the Susan and Zark innuendos are absolutely creepy.
Actually, despite the awful queer villain coding, Battle Of The Planets never comented on Zoltar being "A gay and or a sissy villain." (Pardon the rude word but I needed it to make my point) Zoltar is a man and he wears lipstick. That's it. But there's nothing wrong with that. And Battle kept removing some of the nastier comments Berg Katse got from people. Like the uncle saying "My brother HATED men wearing rings" on The Space Mummy. And if Zoltar is evil its not because of his queer coding.

Also its so sad a man wearing lipstick is now TV-14 material. RICK AND MORTY is TV-14 material.
Stardust

Cure DragonEagle 255 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:49 am

Actually, despite the awful queer villain coding, Battle Of The Planets never comented on Zoltar being "A gay and or a sissy villain." (Pardon the rude word but I needed it to make my point) Zoltar is a man and he wears lipstick. That's it. But there's nothing wrong with that. And Battle kept removing some of the nastier comments Berg Katse got from people. Like the uncle saying "My brother HATED men wearing rings" on The Space Mummy. And if Zoltar is evil its not because of his queer coding.

Also its so sad a man wearing lipstick is now TV-14 material. RICK AND MORTY is TV-14 material.
I agree, but people make disparaging comments about a man wearing lipstick. And it makes me think of that "Friends" episode where Joey shows the commercial he did in Japan, Ichiban, lipstick for men. So it's a good chance it's part of their culture. Also that was a great episode.

One other thing I want to point out. If you look at the very early episodes, I don't remember exactly which ones, I want to say 1 and 2, Katse has nothing on their lips. So I have always been curious as to why. Jason any insight on that?
Cure DragonEagle 255

The Other Jason wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:52 pm Hi Cure DragonEagle,
Cure DragonEagle 255 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:39 am Wow this confirms something I was suspecting. Despite the major edits and changes to remove violence and other unkid friendly stuff, Battle Of The Planets is still quite the edgy show. It was made in an era that frowned on violence but it managed to get a lot to slide.
Curious.

I *think* it was "TV-Y7" on the Anime Network back around 2002. That meant it was rated okay for those 7 or older.
When it aired on Boomerang in 2004, it was rated "TV-Y7 FV" That meant it was rated okay for those 7 or older, due to "Fantasy Violence."
I don't remember what it was rated the first time it streamed on Hidive. Does anyone else remember?

As you probably know, there was no ratings system in place when Battle first aired in the US. But Sandy Frank wanted the changes made so the series wouldn't traumatize children. He was very aware of that point.

For a little bit of comparison, here are some video ratings from around the world...

Australia
Siren Home Video (DVD) 2002
PG - Parental Guidance recommended for persons under 15 years. Low level violence

Madman Home Video (DVD) 2005
PG - Parental Guidance recommended for persons under 15 years. Medium level violence (For all volumes and compilations)

France
Declic Images (VHS and DVD) 2002
TP - Tous Publics (suitable for all audiences, essentially)

Italy
Yamato Video (DVD) 2006
T - Pellicola per Tutti (suitable for all audiences, essentially)

Spain
Suevia Films (DVD) 2005
1-6 Todos los Publicos (suitable for all audiences, essentially)

Llmentaol (DVD) 2013
Apta Todos los Publicos (suitable for all audiences, essentially)

UK
Longman Video (VHS) 1984
U - Suitable for all
Most of Longman's VHS releases were put out before the ratings system was in place, but four of them came out after, and were all given U ratings.

Mollin Home Video (VHS and DVD) 2000
U - Suitable for all (for all VHS and DVD releases)

Universal Home Video (VHS and DVD) 2002 and 2004
U - Suitable for all (for all VHS and individual DVD releases)
PG - Parental Guidance (for the Complete Series DVD box set)
Even though all the episode discs got U ratings, the bonus disc got a PG, which meant the entire box had to have the PG rating.

Battle was released on home video the US with no rating in place.

I hope this was of interest!
Wow I didnt see this post! Awesome! Thanks Other Jason!