What did Sandy Frank think Gatchaman was about?

Including international versions
Cure DragonEagle 255

What did Sandy Frank think Gatchaman was about?

I know the famous story when Mr Jameson Brewer saw the Gatchaman uncut footage and went "Uhhhhhhhh... I think we have a problem Mr Frank."

But we never found just WHY Mr Sandy Frank saw the Gatchaman footage and immediately went "This could be a nice Star Wars esque scifi series."

I am certainly grateful he made the mistake otherwise the anime boom may have not happened but I wanna know!
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Re: What did Sandy Frank think Gatchaman was about?

Hi Cure DragonEagle,
Cure DragonEagle 255 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:51 pm I know the famous story when Mr Jameson Brewer saw the Gatchaman uncut footage and went "Uhhhhhhhh... I think we have a problem Mr Frank."

But we never found just WHY Mr Sandy Frank saw the Gatchaman footage and immediately went "This could be a nice Star Wars esque scifi series."

I am certainly grateful he made the mistake otherwise the anime boom may have not happened but I wanna know!
It's a bit hard to say without knowing which Gatchaman episode(s) he was sent by Tatsunoko. We don't know. But, there are a few things to consider.

Both versions of the opening credits began with a shot of Earth from space, and ended with Ken standing in front of an elongated wire-frame globe-like element that looked like it was in space.

If he was sent #002 or #009, it's clear why he might have thought there was more of an outer space angle to the series. Perhaps #001 and #002 were there as a complete story, in which case they still might have given him a feel that there was going to be more outer space content.

Frank was also likely given a Gatchaman handout flyer at the MIP-TV conference with series promotion language on it. Early versions of that flyer stated, "Gallactor was created by a mysterious being from outer space known as Generalissimo X, who gives orders through its chief commander on Earth, the masked Berg Katse." If Sandy read that, you can probably understand how that might have said "outer space adventure" to him. At least enough to request episodes after Star Wars hit. Click here to see the whole content of the flyer.

There was promotional artwork that depicted the team in space... including the very same art that I use for the header on this message board. They likely also sent him things like that.

It's just hard to say exactly without knowing what all he saw. But those are at least some things that might point to why.
Cure DragonEagle 255

Re: What did Sandy Frank think Gatchaman was about?

The Other Jason wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:25 pm Hi Cure DragonEagle,
Cure DragonEagle 255 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:51 pm I know the famous story when Mr Jameson Brewer saw the Gatchaman uncut footage and went "Uhhhhhhhh... I think we have a problem Mr Frank."

It's a bit hard to say without knowing which Gatchaman episode(s) he was sent by Tatsunoko. We don't know. But, there are a few things to consider.

Both versions of the opening credits began with a shot of Earth from space, and ended with Ken standing in front of an elongated wire-frame globe-like element that looked like it was in space.

If he was sent #002 or #009, it's clear why he might have thought there was more of an outer space angle to the series. Perhaps #001 and #002 were there as a complete story, in which case they still might have given him a feel that there was going to be more outer space content.

Frank was also likely given a Gatchaman handout flyer at the MIP-TV conference with series promotion language on it. Early versions of that flyer stated, "Gallactor was created by a mysterious being from outer space known as Generalissimo X, who gives orders through its chief commander on Earth, the masked Berg Katse." If Sandy read that, you can probably understand how that might have said "outer space adventure" to him. At least enough to request episodes after Star Wars hit. Click here to see the whole content of the flyer.

There was promotional artwork that depicted the team in space... including the very same art that I use for the header on this message board. They likely also sent him things like that.

It's just hard to say exactly without knowing what all he saw. But those are at least some things that might point to why.
Thanks Other Jason, you most certainly are a fountain of information. It's scary to think how much the Anime Boom, ESPECIALLY Jameson Brewer's Anime work relied on sheer luck. (Voltron had a similar story, Toei wanted to sell Future Robo Daltanious but ended up selling Hundred Beast King GoLion instead.) But I dont mind,its really interesting to learn and read about.