Mad Cave Gatchaman Comic Series Discussion (Spoilers Allowed!)

The Other Jason
Site Admin

Mad Cave Gatchaman Comic Series Discussion (Spoilers Allowed!)

Hi all!

I thought I'd add this section for anyone who has thoughts and comments about any of Mad Cave's various Gatchaman comic titles. I thought I would make it inclusive of "spoilers," so be wary if you're not caught up on content.
Stardust

Re: Mad Cave Gatchaman Comic Series Discussion (Spoilers Allowed!)

I am so glad you started this! Needed a place to geek about it. I am super psyched about all of it, but especially that they are actually giving Katse a one shot.
I think Chris did a real good job on the art, his style while keeping in the spirit of the show.
tatsunokofan

Hi Everyone,

Just a few comments. I appreciated how Chris Batista put in the effort to get details correct -- things like the layout of the God Phoenix's Command Room, for example. That kind of thing is appreciated by fans. The story? Well, it felt a lot like reading a comic version of the first 20 minutes of the live action Gatchaman movie, since the basic ideas were so similar. Comparing this to the preview pages from this story, I see that they changed the name of G-2 from "Jo" to "Joe." Apparently they were so eager to add an "e" to names that they decided give one to "Berge" Katse. And I see that we can't even get to the official first issue of the comic without them falling into the "second team" trope. *Sigh*

The second story was fine -- not spectacular, not really good or bad, just fine. Maybe it was the art style. David Hansen is a talented illustrator, but it's just not a style that appeals to my personal tastes. I'm probably in the minority on that. I still want to know when the G-1 got machine guns. I must have missed that episode...

The third story, well, I might have liked it more if the ending wasn't telegraphed from the beginning. Was anyone surprised by anything that happened here? I know they only had six pages to work with, but the story felt formulaic and lazy. Kath Lobo's art was nice, however.

The full page ad for Gatchaman on HiDive was a welcome inclusion. I hope that it will encourage more people to check out the original. And I appreciated the chart of their release schedule.

Like I said, just a few comments. Nothing too in-depth. What did the rest of you think?

James
Stardust

tatsunokofan wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:39 pm
The second story was fine -- not spectacular, not really good or bad, just fine. Maybe it was the art style. David Hansen is a talented illustrator, but it's just not a style that appeals to my personal tastes. I'm probably in the minority on that. I still want to know when the G-1 got machine guns. I must have missed that episode...

Don't feel lonely, it's not an art style I enjoy either.
As for the rest of it, I say give it a chance. I've talked to Chris personally and he's given me some insight on the storyline. He's a die hard fan and let's not forget Tatsunoku is guiding this one as well.
SparklingNeon

I finally got the chance to read it all. Pretty much set-up for what's going to unfold, but something to wonder about what they'll do with that one "second team" plot thread-- hopefully something better or not as drastic as what would have happened long ago in implications with Top Cow, hah...I do wonder if the designs were based off anything in particular or not.

When I was re-listening to the Edwards podcast, he made note of how there will be a lot of newly-created characters and that one's going to feature in another mini-series further out there (and that there will also be some sort of Red Impulse story down the line). That apparently some characters could be seen as "early versions" of ones that appear in-series, and others may be characters we thought died in an episode. It makes me more curious if there will be some kind of guide as to where the issues fall within the original series, since there's the point that they were only given the 105 to work within and between.
With Tatsunoko overseeing it and approving what goes in or doesn't, I guess we have to see what kind of material unfolds and if it feels in the spirit.