Battle of the Planets Feature Film

Including international versions
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Re: Battle of the Planets Feature Film

Hi all,

There is some news about the Battle of the Planets feature, via Collider.com, as reported by Matt Villei, with information collected by Steve Weintraub.

Mainly, it's an update about the creation of the property, and that it is actively being worked on. The full story can be read here: "The Russos Are Putting a Lot of Creative Energy into 'Battle of the Planets.'"

Both Joe and Anthony Russo contributed quotes, while doing press in London for their upcoming Amazon project, Citadel. Interestingly, they have said that the upcoming Battle of the Planets project could be a film, TV series, or both, depending on what is developed. They also confirmed that no studio is yet in mind for the project.

Other than the previously mentioned writer, Daniel Casey, no new names have been mentioned as attached to the project's development.
Cure DragonEagle 255

I wonder how Sandy Frank feels about this, is he still alive?
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Cure DragonEagle,
Cure DragonEagle 255 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:51 pm I wonder how Sandy Frank feels about this, is he still alive?
Yes, Sandy is alive. He's been retired for a while. It's hard to say what he'd think of the film that's now in development. We tried for several years to lock down a deal. I know he held Battle in special regard, so he'd probably hope to have some hand it it himself. I'd like to think he'd be positive on it, as it wouldn't be here without him.
Bobkat

Not sure if this needs its own thread, but here we go.

In my opinion (so take it with a grain of salt if you so choose) - this does not bode well for the Battle plans. And honestly, if this how they're going to do things - it's better they don't do Battle. Again, just my opinion and I'd love to hear from others who may have more insight into this kind of thing. :)

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/ ... 234720581/
Cure DragonEagle 255

I hope they do a faithful Gatchaman but as Battle Of The Planets remake. I dont want some In Name Only Thing.
Bobkat

Cure DragonEagle 255 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:13 am I hope they do a faithful Gatchaman but as Battle Of The Planets remake. I dont want some In Name Only Thing.
I disagree on point 1 (i'll get to that). I agree with point 2.

I don't want in Name Only Thing either. However, I want something in the spirit of Battle. If there are story elements to bring over from Gatchaman to enhance that, yay. But DO NOT make Mark into Ken or Jason into Joe. It's character assassination times 4!! Mark is Mark, Jason is Jason - period! Since we don't know much about Jason (other than he's a known racecar driver and an orphan) - I consider him a blank slate. To put Joe's story onto him is insulting and frankly, lazy.

Again, my two cents. Not that that my opinion carries any weight. ;)
Cure DragonEagle 255

I really botched my explanation and I agree with you. What you mentioned is exactly what I want from the movie. I want the characters as they were known in Battle not just some sort of fanfic that doesnt even follow the same plot or characters. Cmon have more respect Russo brothers.
Bobkat

Then we are on the same page! :) No worries, CureDragonEagle - thank you for the clarification. :)
Cure DragonEagle 255

How odd, the forum is not warning me about new posts in this thread. I think something is wrong.

BTW I love Battle's characters, they are awesome and much distinct from Gatchaman.
Stardust

Agreed with above conversations. Don't "do your own thing" and make a mishmash of the two.
All the characters are different in both universes. Even Katse and Zoltar, they both have very different motivations. I read that they want to explore the gender fluidity of Zoltar, great, but he is not Katse. Mark isn't Ken, Joe isn't Jason, etc.