Searching for Station Identity Promos

Aired in the US, Canada, UK and other English-speaking territories
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Searching for Station Identity Promos

Hi all,

I thought I had asked about this on the boards before. But if I did, I sure can't find it now.

I'm looking for any local station identity promotional materials - advertisements from TV Guide and newspapers, or on-air bumper cards and promo videos, etc. I would like to have a wider selection than what is already on these pages:

https://www.battleoftheplanets.info/wfldpromo.html (on-air)
https://www.battleoftheplanets.info/newspaperads.html (newspapers)
https://www.battleoftheplanets.info/tvguideads.html (TV Guide)

Many stations adapted the art supplied to them by Sandy Frank, or they created their own.

For example, KTTV-TV out of Los Angeles, CA adapted art to create their on-air bumper cards (static images used to go to and from commercial breaks). I'll be adding many of them to the site soon. Here are a couple examples:

kttv1s.jpg
They added extra outer space background and cape

kttv2s.jpg
They blocked out the "7" on Zark's sweater (because they were channel 11)

Some stations used existing materials, some created art to fit in with their own looks and formats. If anyone can provide any other materials like this from different stations, I'd be very grateful to see anything. Whether it's North American or international... whatever you have access to and would be willing to scan, photograph or transfer, please let me know.

Thanks!
Cure DragonEagle 255

Re: Searching for Station Identity Promos

Oh god am I at home in this forum. If people posted more often it would be even more awesome, but I love it.

I love the process of Syndication and the little custom promos.
Bobkat

If anyone has or can find some that WDRB-41 (Louisville, KY) did, that would be amazing.

I distinctly recall a highlighted outline of Mark and the Battle logo (or something similar). I know for a fact that Mark was part of it. I don't know if it was just him or the whole team or if the Phoenix was part of it. It said something to the effect of "We'll return after these messages."

I have tried to find it before but no success.
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Bobkat,
Bobkat wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:11 pm If anyone has or can find some that WDRB-41 (Louisville, KY) did, that would be amazing.

I distinctly recall a highlighted outline of Mark and the Battle logo (or something similar). I know for a fact that Mark was part of it. I don't know if it was just him or the whole team or if the Phoenix was part of it. It said something to the effect of "We'll return after these messages."

That would be fun to see! I wish I could remember any of the ones for the stations I watched. But nothing really comes to mind. If I ever stumble across any material from them, I wonder if memories would come back...

I just found another Battle promo spot buried on YouTube, but I haven't done a screen shot yet. Unfortunately it has a bug embedded. There are probably more out there in era programming with ads, but I haven't had a chance to look through most of them.
Cure DragonEagle 255

The Other Jason wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:50 pm Hi Bobkat,
Bobkat wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:11 pm If anyone has or can find some that WDRB-41 (Louisville, KY) did, that would be amazing.

That would be fun to see! I wish I could remember any of the ones for the stations I watched. But nothing really comes to mind. If I ever stumble across any material from them, I wonder if memories would come back...

I just found another Battle promo spot buried on YouTube, but I haven't done a screen shot yet. Unfortunately it has a bug embedded. There are probably more out there in era programming with ads, but I haven't had a chance to look through most of them.
I am going to be the unpopular opinion haver and say I love seeing footage with channel bugs (If we are talking about channel bugs like the network, affiliate or cable channel) because its like a badge of honor to me, I love seeing them in AMVs and so on.

But if you are talking about a Youtuber putting their bugs on footage that's awful.
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi Cure DragonEagle,
Cure DragonEagle 255 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 1:08 pm
I am going to be the unpopular opinion haver and say I love seeing footage with channel bugs (If we are talking about channel bugs like the network, affiliate or cable channel) because its like a badge of honor to me, I love seeing them in AMVs and so on.

But if you are talking about a Youtuber putting their bugs on footage that's awful.
I've always disliked bugs (even though I've used them myself). The temporary ones were okay I guess, but the permanent ones really annoyed me. I used to record programs and I always wanted the cleanest, most complete versions possible. I'm sure part of the reason for the bugs was to discourage such things. I'm talking about the era of the few years where recording off-air was the only option, and permanent bugs had just become a thing. Right before DVD box sets made collecting TV series a lot easier.

Anyhow, here is a YouTube link to the promo video I saw the other day. It was posted by the Museum of Classic Chicago Televsion, who put their "FuzzyMemories" logo on top of their clips (plus another non-permanent bug on the right hand side).

This December 1984 recording is from from WPWR, Channel 60 out of Chicago, IL. They took over airing Battle after the original market station WFLD (Channel 32) dropped it. The Battle clip plays a couple times, and there are promos for other cartoons, including Voltron. It's nice that Battle was still playing that late, after its original five year offering. This might actually have been a station that Turner Program Services sold to, after they bought North American distribution rights from Sandy.

Hopefully I can find the clip and others like it without that logo.