how does transmute work

Aired in the US, Canada, UK and other English-speaking territories
stevenpw

how does transmute work

wondering how the technology works. is it whatever tech, or was there some scientific - comic book explanation? seems to work on cloth (clothing) / metal (cars/airplanes) - but it also produces items out thin air.. unless they come from a part of something? such as, how do the helmets and gloves on their outfits materialize?
Cure DragonEagle 255

Re: how does transmute work

In both Gatchaman and Battle Of The Planets the suits are their normal clothes transformed. Jun (and Princess) Lost one of her shoes and it transformed into the boot of her suit when she transfomed. Galactor and Spectra took advantage of this.
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Hi stevenpw,

First, welcome to the boards and thanks for your question!
stevenpw wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:39 pm wondering how the technology works. is it whatever tech, or was there some scientific - comic book explanation? seems to work on cloth (clothing) / metal (cars/airplanes) - but it also produces items out thin air.. unless they come from a part of something? such as, how do the helmets and gloves on their outfits materialize?
Unfortunately, this is one more thing that never got fully addressed or defined within the series. But what do we see in episodes about the process?

-The bands G-Force wear on their wrists are called "wrist activators," and control their ability to transmute. Without them, the team is stuck in their civilian mode and seemingly less powerful.

-G-Force's civilian clothing is required for them to transmute into their uniforms (as Cure DragonEagle mentioned). If a piece is missing, again, they're stuck in civilian mode. Although Spectra experiments on Princess' shoe did cause it to temporarily transmute.

-Transmuting affects both the clothing and the vehicles. But it's never discussed if it always happens, or if a team member has to be within a certain proximity to their vehicle for it to happen. But when they're near, or in/on their vehicles, both change.

-In the pilot episode ("Attack of the Space Terrapin"), 7-Zark-7 says the process of transmuting into the Fiery Phoenix was done via a sub-atomic generator. However, he also claims it takes the team 24 hours to revert back to their normal shapes afterward. So I'm not sure that's the best source to reference for ideas.

Outside the scope of what's seen on-screen, scripts and other documents have a little more information. Although these may not be considered an actual part of the series, they show some of the thoughts about how the process was accomplished.

-A segment of the Battle series pitch language (presented to potential buyers) describes the process of transmuting into the Fiery Phoenix.
"Or using their ultimate escape weapon... the sub-atomic transmuter... transforming and rising from seeming disaster as the Fiery Phoenix... to reform again!" This sort of matches the idea from the pilot.

-The script for "The Space Serpent" contains stage directions that describe the process when Mark transmutes, possibly giving names to some of the technique:
"The transmute energy waves begin radiating out from the activator in widening circles and finally the transmutation is completed. Mark is now in his wing-cape uniform."

I know this doesn't answer all the questions you have, but hopefully it helps a little.
Bobkat

Thanks Other Jason for letting us know that!

Another note about this - there is at least once instance where Princess takes off her bracelet aboard the Phoenix and she stays in uniform. I can't recall the ep or exactly what she was doing. I think she was trying to enhance some communications to track a signal. But I could be wrong. :)
The Other Jason
Site Admin

Yes, you're absolutely right, Bobkat! They did it a couple times, Keyop once in "Museum of Mystery" to find Princess' signal, and then Princess returned the favor in "Keyop Does it All" to pick up Keyop's "Cross-Hatch Signal."

Also, I should have added this the other day but I completely forgot... I have a lot of information about things like this in the Federation Terms and Spectra Terms pages. But the direct link to some additional details about Transmuting, is here in the Wrist Activator entry.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions, stevenpw.